Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Research Manager & Academic Assistant’s responsibilities will fall into two major categories:
• Act as a Research Manager in matters concerning the oversight and facilitation of student and faculty research throughout the year with emphasis on off-campus populations.
• Assist the Department Chair primarily in matters concerning facilitating and monitoring student progress in the department including students in special majors such as neuroscience and psychology and education
Research Manager duties throughout the year (including summer) will include the following:
• Assist with off-campus research, including serving as a liaison between investigators and community settings (such as schools) that serve as research sites. This work will involve coordinating with community organizations and potential participants (and their parents) in a variety of phases of research including fielding phone calls and email messages, scheduling assessments, helping to oversee and conduct assessments in community settings and on campus, managing payment to research participants, and working to maintain relationships with community organizations and participants. Work hours must be flexible as they may include some evening and weekend responsibilities.
• Facilitate students’ involvement in research with off-campus populations including developmental research, community-based research, field placements and coordination of on-campus testing. Responsibilities include helping to serve as a liaison between students and community sites, coordinating student schedules for on-and off-campus testing, management of the procurement of students’ clearances (e.g., child abuse and criminal record checks that are required by schools and clinics), and management of transportation reimbursement.
• Manage survey research, including setting up and managing online surveys (e.g., through Qualtrics and Amazon’s mechanical turk) and setting up and managing research databases (including creating scoring queries and exporting data for use in statistical analyses).
• Administer online on-campus research scheduling and recruitment tools.
• Attend relevant lab meetings to keep in touch with research goals.
• Assist in data analysis
• Provision of administrative support for faculty in their applications for extramural research funding.
• Coordinate with the Administrative Coordinator concerning the administration of department web sites relevant to these responsibilities.
Academic duties both Psychology will include the following:
• Assist with clerical duties associated with sophomore planning events and processing major, minor, and honors applications.
• Periodically reviewing and communicating with students about their progress in meeting department major, minor, and special major (e.g., neuroscience, psychology and education) requirements.
• Check the certification list of seniors both for majors and for special majors involving Psychology.
• Gather information from faculty, especially pertaining to helping to prepare official department documents such as those regarding the scheduling of classes and classrooms, the two-year projection of what will be taught when, and catalog copy.
• Maintain and update the catalog using Acalog
• Schedule classrooms
• Coordinate Psychology department events throughout the year. This includes some weekend obligations during honors and commencement weekends.
• Serve as liaison with Honors examiners for Psychology and assisting with coordination of Honors examinations for special majors involving psychology (e.g., neuroscience, psychology and education). Gathering information from Honors examiners for examiner registration, honors exam scheduling, examiners travel and hotel accommodation and reimbursement.
• Manage department/program records and keeping histories (study abroad, student records, Sigma Xi, etc.).
• Check students’ prerequisites for courses and conducting pre-registration lotteries.
• Register students for thesis and research credits.
• Maintain and update student resource websites (Off-campus studies, FAQ, jobs, internships, and graduate school resources, etc.)
• Gather job and internship information and opportunities from faculty and other sources. Posting online and emailing research opportunities to students.
• Create and update event advertising and student resource materials as needed.
• Cross-checking student’s records across different platforms (Faculty Services, Majors and Minors Departmental Portal, Registrar’s Status List, etc.).
• Assign academic advisors to students and maintaining advisor assignment records as needed.
• Set up, maintain, and compile data from department’s online surveys. Providing other administrative support to faculty as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree with three to five years of job related experience or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
• Experience conducting and managing research is highly desirable, as is experience with database management and web-based programming.
• Experience working in research, clinical, or educational settings with children, parents, and other community members is highly desirable
For full consideration, submit applications including resume and cover letter with salary expectations by September 1, 2021.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.