Program Coordinator S3P
Job no: 494371
Work type: Limited Term Part Time
Categories: Administration, Staff
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
Swarthmore College has an immediate opening for a Program Coordinator for the Swarthmore Summer Scholars Program. Swarthmore Summer Scholars Program (S3P) supports incoming cohorts of 16 first-year students who are interested in STEM and who are either first from their family to attend college, members of traditionally under-represented groups in STEM fields, from low-income families, or from under-resourced high schools.
The Program Coordinator plays a key role in the continuity of the Program, provides a welcoming office to support scholars throughout the academic year, and maintains institutional knowledge of the history of and current state of the Program. The Program Coordinator collaborates with various Swarthmore College departments and offices that are integral to the training of student mentors as well as the support of the scholars’ curriculum and also helps to manage the Budget for the Program. One of our major objectives is cohort building, becoming acquainted with the many resources we have to support students, and learning to ask for help. Leadership training is another pillar in our summer program. With such support and activities, the Program aspires to strengthen students’ academic performance and retains them in or on track for STEM majors.
General Administrative Support (50%)
- Has full responsibility for S3P Google Drive records.
- Maintains and updates S3P webpages.
- Collaborates with Admissions staff.
- Provides support for student mentor applications, decisions, payments.
- Provides support for scholar applications, decisions, payments, and communication.
- Coordinates with the Business Office.
- Organize student mentor training
- Manages logistics for the Program throughout the summer and academic year.
- Records minutes of all meetings.
- Coordinates with Auxiliary Services (dining/catering, event management, post office, OneCard).
- Coordinates with Public Safety regarding transportation for tudents arriving by train and airplane.
- Coordinates with the Library on tours and introduction to library resources.
- Coordinates with the Dean of Students’ Office.
- Schedules field trip elements: transportation, entry fees, food, chaperones.
- Communicates with College photographer.
- Communicates with Natural Sciences and Engineering (NSE) faculty.
- Collaborates with Career Services for professional development curriculum.
- Supports Program faculty and instructional staff.
- Communicates with Office of Institutional Research for annual survey.
- Designs, implements and summarizes Qualtrics surveys.
- Maintains regular communication with all 4 cohorts of scholars on campus.
Academic Program Support (25%)
- Set up Moodle page for each summer’s Program faculty.
- Training of student mentors.
- Collaborate with the Dean for First Year student and First-gen Low-Income students.
- Collaborate with the Dean for International student programs
- Coordinate lab tours by NSE faculty during summer Program.
- Coordinate culminating Poster Session presentation by scholars.
- Communicate information to scholars as directed by campus partners.
- Collaborate with Sigma Xi, Cooper and other lecture series.
- Organize syllabus/time management workshops each semester.
- Collaborate with Dean of Academic Success.
- Communicate with Dean of Students office regarding scholar advising.
Facilities Coordination and Procurement (15%)
- Coordinate with the College Community Store.
- Order S3P graduation stoles and schedule annual stoling ceremony.
- Schedule and reserve classrooms for summer program courses.
- Support Program faculty and instructional staff needs for supplies.
- Coordinate with Information Technology Services on computers and connectivity.
Alumni outreach and networking (5%)
- Update email lists for Program graduating seniors.
- Track post-Swarthmore career trajectories of Program alumni
- Communicate with Program alumni and other alumni.
- Collaborate with Institutional Records for annual survey to Program alumni.
Budget Management (5%)
- Oversee the budget for the Program, in collaboration with Director.
- Communicate with the Provost’s Office to support participating faculty and instructional staff.
Assists with Director’s annual report to the Provost
Assists Director with any program needs as communicated
Six student mentors will report to Program Coordinator each summer
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited institution of higher education and at least 5 years of relevant experience in an academic environment.
- Proficient with word processing, spreadsheets, Google Drive, and Qualtrics.
- Must be willing and able to learn new technologies, platforms, and software as they evolve and are adopted for use by the College.
- Preferred graduate degree in a STEM field with two years of full time laboratory experience.
- Understanding for and appreciation of academic laboratory research environments.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend