Environmental Health & Safety Officer
Job no: 494281
Work type: Full Time
Categories: Administration, Staff
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Environmental Health and Safety Officer (EHSO) develops, implements, and maintains programs to enhance employee safety; builds a safety culture and manages institutional compliance risks; leads occupational safety efforts in the areas of biological, laboratory, chemical safety and hazardous materials & other environmental health and safety programs.
The EHSO is a key compliance officer for relevant laws and regulations of OSHA, EPA and state, county and local authorities –related to employee health and safety and the management of hazardous materials. EHSO duties include responding to complaints or concerns related to safety; chairing and directing the work of the Safety Committee; serving on the Institutional Biosafety Committee; conducting safety inspections; records management; preparing and submitting required reports; overseeing safety training programs and within the insurance claim process.
- Develops and implements policies or programs based on current environmental regulations. Design of programs for injury prevention.
- Conducts and documents work related injury investigations, tracking and reporting to OSHA as necessary.
- Provides compliance oversight on safe storage and handling practices of chemicals and use of personal protective equipment.
- Reviews research protocols to determine applicable regulations.
- Oversees routine inspection, maintenance and testing of safety equipment.
- Partners with individual faculty and academic departments to develop, schedule and conduct safety training for faculty, staff and students.
- Provides oversight in design of programs for injury preventionRecommends measures to help protect workers from potentially hazardous work conditions.
- Performs tasks related to various environmental management functions, such as on-site management of hazardous wastes, chemical spill response, hazardous materials treatment or recycling, and environmental compliance program support.
- Serves on committees relating to environmental health and safety including safety committee, biosafety, and Covid safety, among others.
- Maintains licenses relating to environmental health and safety; keeps records of corresponding paperwork; acts as the point of contact for regulatory bodies.
- Participates in emergency management planning, implementation, and serves as the designated safety officer for emergency events.
- Build successful relationships with staff, faculty, students, service providers, and others who share our campus. Must have excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills. Acts as a resource for ESH related topics for faculty, staff, and students.
Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree - preference for the field of laboratory science, occupational or environmental health and safety, industrial hygiene, or related science or engineering field
- At least 3-5 years’ work experience in laboratory management or experience in laboratory compliance, occupational or environmental health and safety program management
- Working knowledge of federal, state, and local safety, health and environmental laws, regulations and best practices sufficient to perform all related job functions (e.g., OSHA, EPA, PA DEP, ANSI, and NFPA)
- Preferred Qualifications:
Master’s degree preferred
One or more of the following certifications: Registered Biosafety Professional (RBP), Certified Biosafety Professional (CBSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM)
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend