Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods. Swarthmore College was recently ranked number 3 in the 2021 US News Best National Liberal Arts Colleges rankings - https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/swarthmore-college-3370.
As a member of the Dining Services department, the Culinary Assistant will work in any of the following stations depending on the schedule or need of the department roles: grill cook, grill assistant, salad prep, deli, pizza cook. Working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, having a passion for food, enjoying being part of an energetic team and the opportunity to make a difference in the student’s dining experience on Swarthmore’s campus. This is a full-time, benefits eligible, nine month position.
Possess exceptional customer service skills and have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Able to work independently and as part of a team. This person is able to prioritize and multitask. Prepare grilled food, deli meats, salad bar items and catering foods in accordance with the instructions, specifications and recipes provided. Prepare and provide food in a safe and timely manner. Required to have knowledge of cooking temperatures and knowledge of operating grill equipment and must keep the work area clean and sanitized at all times.
• Provides prompt, efficient, and friendly service to a diverse clientele.
• Perform start up duties. Plug in and turn on all cooking equipment, which include grill, oven, toasters, and fryers. Set to proper temperatures.
• Foods/ingredients that need to be grilled or cooked are properly laid out, cut, cubed, and sliced according to specified requirements.
• Be sure food items are appropriately thawed prior to using.
• Manage inventory of food supplies.
• Understand all menu items and prepare these items according to recipes and item specifications.
• Prepares grilled items according to customer’s specifications.
• Must be able to use the grill to its full capacity. Must be able to cook and manage many orders at the same time while maintaining consistency and quality.
• Manage portions of grilled food items.
• Must be aware of production needed across all areas including grill, salad bar, deli, pizza catering and residential dining. This includes daily specials in these areas.
• Prioritize and complete multiple concurrent tasks.
• Ensure refrigeration and rotation of food items.
• Maintain a clean and sanitized work area in accordance with the operations cleanliness standards. Assists in cleaning all areas of the operation including light pot washing and using the dish machine.
• Prepares hot and cold sandwiches, wraps and pizzas neatly and in a timely manner according to the appropriate procedure and specifications
• Memorizes and understands all menu items and prepares these items according to recipes and item specifications.
• Assist in setting up Bain Marie's and salad bars and make sure that you have the appropriate amount of backup ingredients as stated by using established par levels. Label tops of containers that contain fresh ingredients with name of product, date and initial.
• Makes cold sandwiches according to the appropriate procedure.
• Performs other assignments as directed by a Supervisor or Manager.
• High school diploma or equivalent
• 2 years grill experience in high volume food establishment.
• Communicate clearly
• Ability to carry and lift objects weighing up 25-40 lbs.
• Ability to carry heavy objects in close quarters. Ability to carry objects for a long period of time.
• Ability to perform kneeling, bending, squatting and reaching motions for extended times.
• Standing on a hard surface for extended periods of time.
• Fast paced, high volume environment.
• Seven day operation, including nights and weekends.
• Must be able to adapt to ever-changing demands of college dining services.
• Must work in inclement and severe weather conditions.
• Could be a noisy environment.
• Floors could be wet, non-slip shoes required
• High school diploma
• 3-5 Years culinary experience in high volume food establishment
• Serv safe certified
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.