Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
McCabe Library, which serves the humanities and social sciences disciplines at Swarthmore College, invites applications from a self-directed, intellectually curious MLS/MLIS student or recent graduate for an non-exempt, benefit eligible, limited-term position (through May 13, 2022) as Research & Instruction Librarian. As a member of a team of librarians, provides a range of reference, research support, user education, outreach, and collection development services. The ideal candidate will display a commitment to and interest in public services and emerging research trends including the role of technology in pedagogy. The incumbent will report to the Associate College Librarian for Research & Instruction and as part of the Research & Instruction Department will participate fully in Public Services.
The responsibilities of the Reference & Instruction Librarian will draw on their particular skills, experience and disciplinary knowledge, but may include the following:
• Review, update and create Research Guides on LibGuides platform
• Provide research help through various platforms: Chat; scheduled consultations; and in-person at the Research & Information Desk
• Serve as a member of the Programming Committee
• Participate in collection development
• Is part of and supports a diverse and inclusive community of faculty, students and staff
• Participate in the RIAs and Spring Internship
• Be conversant with emerging trends in critical information literacy
40% Research & Instruction
• Provides primary reference support at McCabe Library through a variety of platforms, Chat, email, scheduled consultations, LibGuides, and staffing the Research & Information Desk.
• Provides research assistance to faculty, students, staff, as well as non-Swarthmore library patrons in identifying and accessing appropriate information resources in print, digital and other media.
• Develops student facing workshops, e.g. database literacy, zotero, Tripod and LibGuides.
25% Collection Development
• Based upon disciplinary knowledge and interest, develops collections to ensure pertinence and availability to all students and faculty for their educational and research needs.
• Evaluates and selects library materials in assigned subject areas in support of curricular and para-curricular needs of students and faculty.
35% Programming & Co-curricular Activities
• Participates in monthly meetings, event planning and delivery, outreach, and social media.
• Participates in RIA training and activities, and the Spring Library Internship.
• Outreach to student groups/facilitate library support for co-curricular activities.
• Special projects in collaboration with library liaisons, e.g. cultivate leisure reading through book group facilitation.
• Applicant must have completed one semester of graduate study towards an MLS/MLIS or be a recent graduate.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and problem-solving skills and ability to interact effectively with faculty, staff and students.
• Willingness to do so both through training and through self-directed learning.
• Good organizational skills with ability to work independently and creatively.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.