Manager, Investment Operations
Job no: 494361
Work type: Full Time
Categories: Administration, Staff
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
Swarthmore College has an immediate opening for a Manager of Investment Operations. This position reports to the Chief Investment Officer (CIO). The candidate will be responsible for oversight of endowment administration, legal and compliance, manager operational due diligence, hardware and software and Investment Office accounting and reporting.
The Manager of Investment Operations reports to the Chief Investment Officer (CIO). The candidate will be responsible for oversight of endowment administration, legal and compliance, manager operational due diligence, hardware and software and Investment Office accounting and reporting.
The Investment Office is responsible for the oversight of the endowment assets of Swarthmore College, which total approximately $2.2 billion. The endowment is managed primarily by external investment management firms and diversified among assets classes.
The position is an integral part of the Investment Office. The position does not have any investment research, investment due diligence or portfolio management responsibilities.
This position will work remotely currently as the College limits on campus work. When the College resumes normal operations the position will work on campus.
This is a full time, exempt position at a salary grade 9.
• Serve as the primary contact with the endowment’s outsourced administrator and custodian bank.
• Monitor investment activity and provide updates to the investment team.
• Review performance of the endowment, managers and funds on a monthly basis.
• Monitor endowment cash activity and provide updates to the investment team.
• Monitor private fund capital call and distribution activity. Approve capital call wire transfers.
• Work with the Business Office on endowment-related matters (such as manager/fund valuations, cash flows, College distributions, annual audit) on an as needed basis.
• Initiate wire transfers for the College distribution and investment management expenses.
• Initiate cash transfers, under the direction of the CIO, with investment managers.
• Complete annual surveys pertaining to the endowment.
• Provide annual report on investment management fees.
Legal and Compliance:
• Serve as the primary contact with outside legal counsel.
• Review and coordinate the dissemination of legal documents for new investments, amendments and KYC/AML requests.
• Create and maintain compliance and governance programs related to the endowment on an on-going basis.
Operational Manager/Fund Due Diligence:
• Work with consultant and investment team in conducting operational manager/fund due diligence.
• Help coordinate the due diligence process for investments under consideration.
Investment Office Hardware/Software:
• Serve as the primary contact with vendors including Bloomberg, document-management system, investment-related databases and other software services.
• Serve as the primary contact with the College’s Information Technology Services regarding hardware and software needs for the Investment Office.
Investment Office Accounting and Reporting:
• Submit invoices for payment of services related to the Investment Office.
• Work with the Business Office to pay and account for personnel expenses including salaries and benefits, travel related and other expenses for the Investment Office.
• Provide monthly expense reports to CIO, Managing Director of Investments and other senior members of the Administration.
• Provide annual expense report for the Investment Committee.
Investment Committee Operations:
• Assists CIO and other members of the Investment Office in the preparation of the materials for the Investment Committee meetings.
• Assists in the scheduling of Investment Committee and subcommittee meetings/conference calls.
• The Manager of Investment Operations will have the opportunity to design workflows related to data collection, storage and analysis to improve investment decision making and reporting.
• Performs other assignments as directed by the CIO.
• Bachelor’s Degree.
• A minimum of five (5) years working preferably in a related field or industry.
• Strong organizational abilities. Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple and varied tasks independently, while also working collaboratively.
• Excellent communication skills, including written and oral.
• Skill in dealing with people, using tact and diplomacy, and the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
• Ability to use a variety of computer applications.
• Valid US driver’s license and ability to travel locally and regionally when travel becomes viable again.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend