Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods. Swarthmore College was recently ranked number 3 in the 2021 US News Best National Liberal Arts Colleges rankings - https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/swarthmore-college-3370.
As a member of the Dining Services department, the Culinary Associate will work in any of the following stations depending on the schedule or need of the department roles: Cook, Commissary or Baker. Working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, having a passion for food, enjoying being part of an energetic team and the opportunity to make a difference in the student’s dining experience on Swarthmore’s campus.
Ensuring the timely meal production for a college dining program under the direction of the Culinary Services Director or Sous Chef. Preps ingredients and cooks or bakes menu items according to standard recipes. Ensures that food production meets the departmental standards of quality, taste, creativity, presentation, and variety. Responsibilities include assisting with execution of menu items, food safety and the proper sanitation of all kitchen equipment.
• Consults daily menu and production sheets in order to be prepared for your shift
• Reads recipes and produces product consistent with recipes and production
• Maintains departmental standards for all menu items
• Place finished products on the line in a timely manner.
• Ensures faculty, students and staff receive safe food products of the highest quality, freshness, and consistency, according to department standards
• Stores all food products properly.Wrap tightly, date and label all food items. Transport food to the appropriate walk-in refrigerator or freezer.
• Clean as you go and sanitize the cook line as well as equipment, walls, floors, hoods, walk-ins, and line coolers.
• Promotes teamwork by assisting in cleaning areas of the kitchen, sweeping and mopping, cleaning the coolers, organizing dry storage etc.
• Observes the basic rules of kitchen safety, sanitation and back door safety.
• Uses First in First Out (FIFO) rule to ensure proper rotation.
• Utilizes various cleaning chemicals in accordance with Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
• Completes all running, opening and closing side work.
• Providing friendly and competent customer service.
• Record food temp logs of hot and cold food items.
• Ensure proper cooling down of all hot food items before placing them in the refrigerator.
• Prepare all foods at the correct temperature according to the HACCP Guidelines.
• Make suggestions to sous chef for menu items and recipe adjustments
• Communicate clearly with front of house about menu items and portion sizes
• Record production clearly.
• Monitor and communicate with the line server/food runner about menu items and portion control.
• Maintain a visual contact with the front of the house and customers.
• Responsible for the prep of all components needed for production of salads,deli, catering platters, grab-n-go sandwiches, coffee bar sandwiches and retail locations as directed by production manager, retail operations and catering.
• Prepares baked goods such as breads, rolls, muffins, biscuits, and cakes according to recipes and under the direction of the Baker. Prepares and serves food items according to standards. Uses and cleans commercial baking equipment.
• High school diploma with 1-2 years of experience in high volume food establishment or associate degree in culinary with 1-2 years of experience
• Must be able to stand on hard surface floor for extended periods of time
• Must be able to lift 25-40 pounds
• frequent bending, reaching, lifting
• Fast paced high volume environment.
• Must be able to work with a diverse group of individuals from different cultures and different levels of ability.
• Exposed to equipment with moving parts and a moderate level of noise. Floors are often wet and it can be warm and humid.
• Must be able to report to work during inclement weather as we are essential and Swarthmore College is a residential College.
• We are a seven day a week operation so schedules will include nights and weekends.
• Culinary program certificate with 3-5 years of experience in high volume food establishment
• Serv-safe certification
• Food Allergen knowledge/certification
• Valid PA driver's license
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.