Job no: 494680
Work type: Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods. Swarthmore College was recently ranked number 3 in the 2021 US News Best National Liberal Arts Colleges rankings - https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/swarthmore-college-3370.
Assists Catering Manager with all aspects of a catering function including culinary support,timely, safe, reliable and friendly service and hospitality, set up and delivery of all catered functions and events on campus, support commissary when directed and to assist in deliveries to other areas on campus upon request.
- Assist Catering Manager with Culinary Support including prep,cook,plating,serving
- Properly and efficiently gather all equipment needed per function.
- Wear uniform as established by department and affair
- Arrive to work clean, hygienic and ready to start the shift.
- Gather or produce all food items to include baked goods, deli meats/cheese and or sandwich items, salads and any other items consistent with the Catering order and delineate where to provide these items, in a secure, sanitary manner.
- Produce and provide hot and cold beverages with standard set ups of small wares and equipment.
- Label all functions in accordance with catering standards/guidelines
- Closely follow planograms to ensure consistent set ups per each function as per catering standards.
- Deliver, set up and break down all functions in an efficient and timely manner.
- Process equipment properly after each function.
- Follow recipes and standards as directed.
- Meet daily with the Catering Manager to discuss and establish a plan for the day's events that includes , timeline, needs and any issues that may arise such as missing or damaged equipment, etc.
- Maintain cleanliness, both interior and exterior of Dining Services vehicles and ensure that they are properly fueled and ready to use.
- Report any issues with catering vehicles.
- Properly organize, clean and sanitize, daily, catering worktables, storage areas, walk-in cooler shelving, cold box, freezer units and floors.
- Safe and proper operation of Dining Services vehicles.
- Ability to work a varied schedule to include nights, weekends, holidays.
- Follow all other college rules and regulations regarding where to drive and park vehicles.
- Great customers by being friendly, courteous and engaging.
- Take weekly inventory of catering paper supplies.
- Organize, break down boxes, sweep and clean catering storage areas to include dry goods area, kitchen workstation and any additional areas as directed.
- Assist and function with any Front of the House function to include serving, food running and bar tending.
- Properly store, wrap label and date any and all food items.
- Properly park dining services vehicles in designated areas.
- High School Diploma or GED
- 2-3 years catering and food production experience
- Great communication and customer service skills
- Valid PA Drivers license
- Sustained standing, frequent bending,frequent reaching
- Move, lift and carry supplies, equipment and materials weighing up to 50 pounds without assistance from floor to waist height.
- Carry supplies up or down stairs as necessary
- Lift items above shoulder height
- Travel throughout campus by foot if necessary
- Fast paced, high volume environment.
- Seven day operation, including nights and weekends.
- Must be able to adapt to ever-changing demands of college dining services.
- Must work in inclement and severe weather conditions
- AOS in Culinary Arts or Hospitality Certificate
- 3-5 catering and food production experience
- Serv-Safe Certification
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend