Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Application Systems Administrator is responsible for the support and management of the applications which support College administrative operations. Primary duties include providing technical support for applications and managing related software lifecycle events including installation, security and operational patching, and planning and executing major and minor upgrades. This position works closely with vendors, application owners, and ITS staff to ensure a stable, efficient, and secure information technology environment.
• Administration of the Banner production, test, and development environments. Perform installation, upgrade, and patching. Monitor and maintain the system with a focus on security, performance, and availability. Work with the support and administration teams to troubleshoot and resolve performance, security, and availability issues. Maintain operational documentation for the Banner system.
• Administration of applications and services which support College administrative operations. Work closely with vendors, application owners, and ITS staff to support the effective operation of these systems. Responsibilities include monitoring, routine maintenance, software installation, upgrade and patching, and issue troubleshooting and resolution.
• Act as a principal technical contact for external vendors supplying administrative software services to the College. Provide direct support to vendors during the specification, implementation and ongoing support of applications and services.
• Provide technical expertise for the selection, implementation, and ongoing administration of administrative software applications.
• Maintain current knowledge of all relevant technologies and practices in the field. Engage in a process of continual learning through training classes, conferences, user group meetings, and vendor presentations.
• Identify issues and opportunities and suggest and implement effective actions to support the continual improvement of services.
• Participate in on-campus committees as a technical advisor.
• Maintain operational playbook and runbook documentation as well as detailed information about application configurations, changes, and issues.
• Bachelor's degree with two years of relevant experience.
• Experience supporting enterprise applications in Linux and Windows server environments. Experience with system tuning and troubleshooting and the configuration of local firewalls and operating system permissions.
• Experience with relational database technologies such as Oracle database, Oracle PL/SQL, Microsoft SQL Server, T-SQL, MySQL, and PostgreSQL
• Strong troubleshooting skills complemented by a strong understanding of enterprise software technology components including desktop clients, networks, databases, application servers, and operating systems.
• Proven ability to understand and effectively support and manage complex systems.
• Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to work effectively alone on self-directed projects and collaboratively with vendors, College staff, and ITS colleagues.
• Significant administrative experience with Ellucian Banner and supporting services.
• Experience working in an Academic or business administration environment.
• Experience with relevant technologies including Apache Tomcat, AWS, Containers, Net, load balancer's, monitoring software, firewalls, etc.
For full consideration, submit applications including resume and cover letter with salary expectations by September 30, 2021.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.