WittKieffer is assisting Swarthmore in this search. All applications, nominations, and inquiries are invited. Nominations and inquiries can be directed to: Amy Crutchfield, Shelley Arakawa and Sarah Miller
Applications should include, as two separate documents, a CV or resume and a letter of interest addressing the themes in this profile. For fullest consideration, candidate materials should be received by April 20, 2021.
Application materials should be submitted using WittKieffer’s candidate portal
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
BACKGROUND: Since its founding in 1864 by the Religious Society of Friends (aka Quakers), Swarthmore College has given students the knowledge, insight, skills, and experience to become leaders for the common good. This distinctive community that thrives on open dialogue, shoulder-to-shoulder discovery, and face-to-face exploration invites nominations and applications for the position of registrar.
A highly selective college of liberal arts and engineering, Swarthmore is ranked No. 3 by U.S. News & World Report among national liberal arts institutions. Swarthmore is global in outlook and diversity and draws students from all 50 states and around the world. Located 11 miles southwest of Philadelphia, Swarthmore’s pastoral 425-acre campus is often referred to as one of the most beautiful college campuses in the nation and is a designated arboretum, complete with rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails. True to its roots in the Religious Society of Friends (the Quakers), Swarthmore still values the guiding principles of that community.
OPPORTUNITY: The registrar will provide strategic direction and oversight of Swarthmore's registration policies and procedures. Achieving the College's goal of excellence, service, and efficiency in records and registration, the new leader will provide exceptional administrative, logistic, and record-keeping services for students, faculty, staff, and alumni and ensure compliance with federal, state, and other regulatory agencies. Setting the vision for a state-of-the-art and forward-thinking registrar’s function, the registrar will guide, support, and mentor a committed staff and foster a culture of inclusion, equity, transparency, open communication, teamwork, student-centeredness, and service.
ROLE OF THE REGISTRAR
Reporting directly to the dean of students and working closely with the provost (regarding academic policies, degree requirements, curriculum and honors) and dean of admissions (regarding transfer students), the registrar oversees the Registrar’s Office, supervises the associate registrar, and directs the supervision of the office staff of two. Through the planning and implementation of academic policies and the management of academic information and reporting systems, the registrar plays an important role for the College.
The registrar produces the College catalog and class and examination schedules, directs the office’s management of the honors program and external examinations, participates in planning and organizing Commencement, and manages the College calendar.
Additionally, the registrar is the College’s FERPA officer, an occasional DSO for signing I-20s for the office of International Students, a Veterans Affairs School Certifying Official and the College’s Veterans Affairs single point of contact as needed, and supports and conducts institutional research as needed.
- Directs the Registrar’s Office including the supervision of the associate registrar’s management of office operations. Plans projects and procedures.
- Directs the management and operation of the student records database and the supervision of the staff concerning College policies and procedures, the database, and computer applications.
- The successful candidate will have the experience, leadership, and vision to plan, organize, manage, and enhance the registrar function and to provide inspiration to advance the goals of the College.
- Record of supervising employees and building an effective team; ability to develop, implement and execute strategies through people by providing leadership, feedback and coaching; ability to develop talent for long-term success and model engagement and openness for shared ideas and teamwork.
- Genuine interest in students and their well-being; skills, knowledge, and experience to provide student-focused services to a diverse population.
- Demonstrated strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and the ability to foster an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual uniqueness are valued and leveraged to achieve organization goals.
- Strong working knowledge of federal and state laws, in particular FERPA and mandates pertaining to enrollment and student records and to institutional compliance, including knowledge of best practices, current trends and issues in higher education pertaining to academic records.
- A bachelor's degree is required; advanced degree preferred.
Swarthmore College is committed to excellence through diversity in its education program and employment practices and actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with a demonstrable commitment to a more inclusive and just society and workplace.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.