Job no: 494355
Work type: Full Time
Categories: Administration, Staff
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Department of Biology has an immediate opening for an Administrative Coordinator. The Administrative Coordinator provides high-level administrative support to the chair and other members of the Department as well as support for the department’s academic program. The Department of Biology is a large and complex department with 13 standing faculty, an average of two visiting faculty members, six lab instructors, six regular staff members and a large number of student workers. The Department of Biology supports a large number of majors, graduating 40 – 60 students each year, and its enrollment is among the highest at the college. The person in the Administrative Coordinator position plays a central role in coordinating the daily operations of a very busy department.
The Administrative Coordinator provides a broad range of administrative support for the department. They assist faculty and staff with a wide range of tasks which include many or all of the following:
- Facilities Coordination.
- Supporting faculty with advising and the sophomore planning process.
- Maintaining student records.
- Providing logistics and support for job searches.
- Budget/accounting support with other high-level staff at the College.
- Data management, equipment and supply coordination.
- Mail/delivery support.
- Scheduling support.
- Supervision of part-time/student workers.
- Website content management.
- Meeting attendance and minute preparation.
- Telephone and email support for the department.
Coordination of other tasks within the department on an as-needed basis.
Assists departmental staff in the hiring, performance evaluation, discipline, and termination of student, part-time, or temporary workers. May sometimes serve as lead person in coordinating the completion of tasks involving other full-time support staff.
Assists in hiring student help for department support of office and lab functions. Monitors student hours, reviews their timesheets, processing them for student payroll, and tracks student hour expenses to assure the Department stays within budget in that category.
- High school diploma with 5 years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proficiency using word processors, spreadsheets, and the Google suite of tools.
- Ability and willingness to learn and effectively use Moodle, Acalog, and other college information management systems and to learn new technologies as they are adopted for use by the College.
- Ability to occasionally work evenings or weekends to support departmental events, host visiting scholars and/or provide additional administrative support tasks as needed by the department.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Understanding for and appreciaton of academic research environments.
- Experience using interfolio for searches, reappointments, tenure decisions, and promotions.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend