Job no: 494347
Work type: Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Registered Nurse is a 9 month, full-time position, providing primary and acute health care to students as a member of the collaborative Student Health Center team. The Registered Nurse provides professional services in the physical and psychosocial health care and concerns of students. Responsibilities include: assessing health status, performing triage, and creating plans for therapeutic regiments; following medical protocols for plans of care; educating and informing students and others on campus on health needs or issues and treatments.
- Clinical responsibilities such as perform triage responsibilities and a physical assessment, obtain a medical history, check vital signs, counsel, and treat patients with minor illnesses and injuries; collect and interpret data in consultation with a nurse practitioner or physician; communicate findings on the medical record and with the student to facilitate further data collection and exchange of ideas in order to arrive at a mutually agreed upon and acceptable solution to actual or potential health problems.
- Provide direct patient care and collaborate with other SHWS clinical staff to assist with patient management as required.
- Assess the physical and psychosocial health status and concerns of students, per protocol, in order to make primary decisions about appropriate health management.
- Consult with other medical providers and/or refer students to nurse practitioners or physicians and other community health care providers beyond the scope of a college health service provider as needed.
- Assist students in identifying and utilizing resources designed to improve and maintain health.
- Dispense medications to students as needed based on protocol.
- Educate/inform students about particular health needs or issues and treatments in order to promote healthy decision-making and input into and compliance with plan of care.
- Assist with immunization compliance and health record review of incoming students.
- Follow policy/procedure with respect to documentation and communicate student health information to impacted stakeholders. '
- Must be able to assess and determine if a medical situation requires an emergency response and initiate the appropriate response.
- Support campus emergency preparedness and response as delegated by the Director of Student Health Services or as may be necessitated by a public health crisis.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be a concise and effective communicator including excellent writing and effective public speaking and presentation skills.
- Must be able to consult with other medical providers for informational purposes to ensure continuity of care.
- Must have the ability to perform physical examinations and conduct diagnostic tests, including the use of standard equipment such as otoscopes, stethoscopes, ophthalmoscopes.
- Must be able to draw blood and administer injections.
- Must be able to walk within and between buildings; must be able to assist patients to walk, stand or transfer from chair to exam table, etc.
- Must have proficiency with standard computer skills, including Gmail, Google Calendars, Microsoft Word, and Zoom for virtual meetings.
- Must have the ability to stand at least 25 percent of the day.
- BSN, RN degree from an accredited program required; two years’ experience as a registered nurse preferred.
- Current Certification as a Registered Nurse in Pennsylvania at the time of hire.
- Current CPR/BLS Certification as well as proficiency in phlebotomy.
- Must have skill with using standard equipment (otoscope, stethoscope, sphygmomanometer, nebulizer, peak flow and AED).
- Ability to multi-task, triage health problems, and respond effectively to medical emergencies.
- Familiarity with an electronic health records system.
- Knowledge of and experience supporting a diverse student community, including race, gender, and LGBTQ+ identities, combined with an affinity for working closely with students.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, communication and critical thinking skills are essential.
- Experience with adolescent and young adult/college aged patients, preferably in a college health setting.
- Previous experience working with Medicat.
- Two years’ experience as a registered nurse preferred.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend