Job no: 494329
Work type: Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
Swarthmore College has an immediate opening for a Pot Washer. This position provides timely and reliable cleaning and maintenance support for Swarthmore’s dining services. They are responsible to scrubs, sanitize and rinse pots, pans and utensils throughout the day to ensure cooks have constant supply of cooking vessels available. Ensures the availability of a clean and sanitary supply of dishes, glassware, trays, throughout each meal period. Maintains and sanitizes the dish machine & pot area. Ensures a clean dining service facility. Must interact well with customers, co-workers and supervisors. Must work effectively, both independently and as a team member. Typical duties and expectations are described below, but may also include other duties as assigned.
- Scrapes foods from pots and pans.
- Scrubs, rinses and sanitizes according to Serv Safe procedures.
- Air dries all and returns to proper storage locations.
- Continually monitors pot wash sinks for proper water temperatures, detergent and sanitizer levels.
- Continually checks in with cooks to see they have needed vessels.
- Cleans and sanitizes utensils and return to proper locations.
- Scrapes food scraps from dishes and places them in designated racks for ware washing.
- Empties liquids from cups/mugs and places in racks for ware washing.
- Transports silverware bins from front of house and transfers to wash racks.
- Places clean small wares in proper transport racks after they go through dish machine.
- Place clean silverware on the sorting table.
- Transport clean small wares to serving lines in a timely manner to insure plates, bowls, glasses, mugs, silverware are available throughout the meal periods.
- Sorts silverware.
- Keeps work area wiped clean of garbage and excess water.
- Sweeps & mops kitchen, walk in boxes, serving area,& dining rooms according to daily cleaning listsTakes trash, recycling and compost to designated dumpsters/containers in loading dock area
- Keeps loading dock broom swept and organized
- Assists receivers in down times
- Cleans and sanitizes dish machine, transport dish dollys to serving lines and clean silverware to sorting table
- Clean and sanitize silverware retrieval area in servery
- Performs other assignments as directed by the utility supervisor and other managers
Up to six months experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be able to communicate clearly and have basic reading skills.
High school diploma or GED
2-3 years prior experience in a dishroom
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend