Director of Residential Communities
Job no: 494243
Work type: Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Director of Residential Communities (DRC) is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Associate Dean and Director of Student Engagement. The DRC, in close partnership with the Director of Student Activities, oversees a team of four full-time residential community coordinators and over 50 student para-professional staff.
- Provide day to day leadership and direction of Residential Communities team while ensuring a high quality, co-curricular residential experience for the 1,600 students residing in the College residence halls.
- Oversee residential community initiatives that promote and support student learning and development, academic success, community engagement, leadership development, and inclusive excellence
- Provide oversight for staff training and on-going professional development initiatives for 4 professional staff and approximately 55 student staff.
- Facilitate the selection, hiring, onboarding, and evaluation of Residential Communities Coordinators
- Produce and provide ongoing review of staff training manuals including the RCC living manual and RA manual.
Emergency Response and Case Management
- Serve in an on-call rotation of four student life supervisors. Respond in person, when appropriate, to support the RCC on-call and students in need.
- Provide leadership and manage emergency and crisis situations involving students and/or residential facilities. Serve as essential staff during campus emergencies and participate in the College’s Emergency Response Team.
- Collaborate closely with the Senior Associate Dean of Students/Director of Student Conduct to deliver residential life conduct processes that are educational, fair and grounded in current practices, and result in high levels of consistency of accountability.
- Serve as hearing officer and appeals officer for residential policy violations and allegations of student conduct violations. Adjudicate conduct allegations for commuter and off-campus students.
- Problem-solve interpersonal, operational, and other issues with all residential students as needed.
- Provides annual review and updates to Residential Life policies and procedures.
Operations, Systems and Facilities Management
- Lead all aspects of housing operations, residential education, residential budget management, student summer housing operations, and off-campus housing support.
- Provide annual review and updates to the College catalog, College bulletin and Student Handbook.
- Oversee the semester room and board billing process.
- Supervise all logistics and communication plans for opening and closing procedures.
- Supervise and administer the annual returning student housing lottery.
- Oversee the new student housing process.
- Utilize and administer residential student conduct (Maxient) and housing/dining software systems (Adirondack).
- Community Partnerships and Collaborations.
- Partner with the Director of Student Activities in the strategic planning and implementation of student life programming.
- Collaborate with the Black Cultural Center, Inter-Cultural Center, Interfaith Center and International Student Center to ensure that OSE residential programming fits within larger institutional vision and goals related to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- Maintain effective partnerships with key departments including, but not limited to, Facilities Management, Public Safety, Dining Services and Student Health Services.
- Coordinate all interoffice processes with other campus stakeholders, including but not limited to Admissions, Advancement, Summer Programs, and the Office of Sustainability.
- Attend and participate in college-wide special events such as Halloween Party, Winter Formal, Large-Scale Event, Worthstock, Orientation, Commencement, Swatstruck and other all-call functions for student life staff.
- Master’s degree in Higher Education, Educational Leadership, College Student Affairs or a related field.
- 5-7 years of progressive leadership experience in student affairs.
- Experience overseeing and managing professional staff hiring, development, and performance management.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, written, and listening skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty, staff, and parents.
- Must be an enthusiastic, energetic, and organized self-starter who is capable of working independently and in a team environment, and prepared to work in a fast-paced environment where processes and needs are changing and developing regularly.
- Oversees a team of four full-time residential community coordinators and over 50 student para-professional staff.
- Experience working at a highly-selective liberal arts institution
- Experience with capital planning and long-term residential planning
- Experience implementing a residential curriculum model
- Training in intergroup dialogue, conflict mediation, or related skills
- Demonstrated commitment to principles of inclusive excellence
- Experience with Maxient, Adirondack, Banner, Acalog and/or other housing software
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend