Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The role of the Maintenance Mechanic II is to work in conjunction with the Trades and Maintenance Mechanics to maintain and repair all equipment and devices relating to student life, food service and faculty housing. This is primarily an “as called” repair role with some preventative, planned and predictive maintenance. This position requires working on equipment where household 115V power is commonplace and Mechanics will have a high degree of public contact with college faculty, staff and students.
Carpentry such as door or window repairs and replacements, lock hardware repairs/installation, replacing window balances, mounting pictures and cabinets, fabricating and installing counter tops and architectural trim: Repairing and replacing, plumbing fixtures such as flushometers, sink and shower fixtures, toilet plunging: Repair and rebuilding kitchen equipment such as toasters, steam cookers, dishwashers and food preparation equipment: Additional duties to assist other Trades or HVAC personnel in the execution of tasks where they need a hand.
Performs other assignments as directed by the Trades Supervisor.
• Must be able to speak, read and write in English.
• Must be able to communicate via radio and other means of voice communication and be able to provide written documentation of jobs performed and materials used to augment equipment histories.
• Must be able to use computer work stations/iPads for data input and reports.
• Must be able to identify and use hand tools including, but not limited to, pipe wrenches up to 36”, spanner wrenches, ratchet wrenches, pliers, bearing pullers, hammers of all sizes up to 24 lb. sledge hammer, chain falls, come-alongs, screw drivers and all other commonly used tools relevant to mechanical repairs.
• Must be able to identify and use electrical and pneumatic power tools including but not limited to drills, circular and reciprocating saws, chop saws, sand blasters, heat guns and pneumatic drive tools.
• Must be able to work from ladders, scaffolding, powered lifts and other platforms.
• Must be familiar with safe workplace practices regarding securing equipment that has the potential to move, electrical lock-out tag out, fall protection and safe lifting practices.
• Must be able to work with solvents and other chemical cleaning and coating materials.
• Must be able to work outdoors in inclement weather.
• Must be able to safely lift and maneuver, unassisted, objects up to seventy pounds.
Ability to handle multiple tasks, Ability to prioritize workload and adhere to an established work schedule, Ability to work independently as well as in a supportive and collaborative fashion, Ability to work within a technical environment that requires additional training as technologies develop, Ability to communicate effectively with supervisors and coworkers to define problems, Ability to trouble shoot and repair mechanical and operational problems in equipment and machines with a high degree of success, Ability to maneuver ladders and other odd sized objects in the course of work, Ability to use tools as outlined under Essential Functions.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.