Assistant Director, Financial Aid
Job no: 494180
Work type: Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Assistant Director manages a caseload of prospective and current students, counsels students and parents/guardians, reads financial aid applications, uses knowledge of relevant rules and regulations for the awarding of financial aid funds for the Office of Financial Aid. The Assistant Director is a key member of the Financial Aid Office team.
• Read and review financial aid applications and award prospective and current Swarthmore College students with federal, state, and institutional financial aid funds using federal and institutional need-based analysis methodologies.
• Manage a caseload of several hundred students and their parents and guardians, serving as their point of contact and advisement from initial application to graduation.
• Remain current with regulatory changes and professional best practices.
• Follow and implement policies and procedures.
• Make financial aid presentations to students, families, and counselors on campus and at high schools and community based organizations.
• Work closely with other campus offices (Student Account’s Office, Registrar, etc.)
• Participate in Admissions events, including selected evening and weekend events.
• Determine student eligibility for Federal Title IV aid.
• Help maintain a positive, customer service-oriented office atmosphere while providing administrative support and oversight of the daily operations of the Office.
• Interact with students, parents and guardians, and campus personnel in a positive, professional, and highly confidential manner.
• During heavy volume periods, assist with coverage of front line office duties such as answering phone calls, emails, and drop in visits.
• Evening and weekend hours during periods of heavy work volume and some travel expected.
• Is a full member of the Financial Aid Committee.
• Over time, provide special oversight and management for internal or external aid programs.
• Perform additional duties as needed and assigned by the Director.
• Bachelor's degree
• Three or more years of experience working in financial aid at a college or university setting.
• Attention to detail with strong analytical and quantitative reasoning skills.
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills, and student based counseling experience.
• Commitment to the principles of access and diversity, providing exceptional customer service, and thriving in a fast paced environment with high expectations for performance and productivity.
• Unquestioned personal and professional ethical standards.
• Experience working with Institutional Methodology.
• Detailed knowledge of Federal, State and Institutional Financial aid regulations.
• Previous experience managing/stewarding scholarship programs.
• Demonstrated experience in analyzing and recommending significant improvements in departmental operations.
• Ability to work without direct supervision.
• Demonstrated ability to establish and meet objectives within limited time frames and under tight deadlines.
• Proven leadership skills.
• Familiarity with highly selective college or university settings.
• Innovative thinking and technological vision.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend