Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods. Swarthmore College was recently ranked number 3 in the 2021 US News Best National Liberal Arts Colleges rankings - https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/swarthmore-college-3370.
The Health and Wellness Promotion Educator is a 10 month (beginning of August through end of May), full-time position, providing health and wellness educational outreach and programming to the students of Swarthmore College. As a member of the collaborative Student Health Center team, the Health and Wellness Promotion Educator will provide necessary education to the college-aged population in areas encompassed by the Eight Dimensions of Wellness. The educational outreach of this position will more broadly support a holistic understanding of behavioral health and well-being and will work closely with the Student Health Center team to provide comprehensive outreach to help students meet their health and wellness goals and achieve greater balance in their lives.
This role will have a collaborative approach in working closely with team members from the Student Health Center and with various departments across campus including the Title IX office, the Office of Student Engagement, the Counseling and Psychology Services and Athletics. The Health & Wellness Promotion Educator is required to work on campus and engaging with the students at the Health Center after normal business hours. Flexible scheduling is expected to meet our students needs for events and programming that occur after 4:30pm.
• Provide leadership on health and wellness promotion and education across Swarthmore’s campus.
• Design and implement curriculum and health promotion activities ranging from small workshops and trainings to public awareness campaigns and large interactive events on a variety of topics including sexual health, sleep management, stress management, mental wellness, fitness, body image, nutrition, etc. Some areas of education will be done in collaboration with members of the Student Health Center team as well as members of the greater College community.
• Utilize American College Health Association’s Healthy Campus 2020 and pertinent evidence-based research for the development of program content, and implementation strategies. Regular evaluation of effectiveness of health and wellness promotion programs across departments, disciplines and community agencies will be expected.
• Utilize a prevention and early intervention framework engaging evidence-based prevention and behavior change principles and programs.
• Demonstrate cultural competence and inclusiveness in working with diverse populations.
• Develop and oversee a student health advocate peer group. Annually recruit, train and supervise a group of peer educators, with the intention of developing them into leaders and expanding the reach of the health and wellness team.
• Assists students in identifying and utilizing resources designed to improve and maintain health and wellness and mobilize the campus to adopt healthier norms.
• Provide students health and wellness education in an ethically-professional and confidential capacity. This role will not be considered a Campus Security Authority (CSA) reporter.
• Serve as the moderator for the Wellness Seminar course offered to students as a PE credit each semester.
• Serve as a valued member on the Student Health Center’s Wellness Team and partner with key members to expand the College’s BE WELL initiative.
• Disseminate information via social media avenues to increase awareness of current health and wellness concerns and the related services and programs available.
• Ability to work effectively with individuals of varying ages, backgrounds, identities, experiences and motivations, including students, faculty and staff.
• Master’s Degree in health education, public health, or related field.
• Evidence of health education/health promotion, wellness and/or behavior change communication experience.
• Broad range of knowledge of health and wellness issues unique to young adults including sexual health, nutrition, fitness, stress management, self-care, mental health, etc.
• Understanding of and appreciation for the values of residential liberal arts colleges rooted in Quaker traditions, including respect for the individual, consensus decision-making and social responsibility.
• Knowledge of and experience supporting a diverse student community, including race, gender, and LGBTQ+ identities, combined with an affinity for working closely with students.
• Strong leadership, interpersonal, communication and critical thinking skills are essential.
• Excellent communication skills, including writing and effective public speaking and presentation skills.
• Ability to be flexible with schedule. Occasional evening and weekend hours are required.
• Credentials as a Certified Health Education Specialist.
• Experience in designing, implementing, and evaluating health education programs, in higher education, with the understanding of campus wellness.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to persuade, negotiate, and influence opinion in promoting a health campus culture and environment.
• Demonstrated public speaking skills, professional presentations, and/or teaching at the higher education level.
For full consideration, submit applications including resume and cover letter with salary expectations by December 22, 2021.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.