Job no: 494677
Work type: Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods. Swarthmore College was recently ranked number 3 in the 2021 US News Best National Liberal Arts Colleges rankings - https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/swarthmore-college-3370.
The Electronic Resources Specialist assists the Electronic Resources Management Librarian in the management of online materials from publishers and other vendors. These responsibilities may include: acquisitions, cataloging, technical support, usage analysis, management and configuration of the integrated library system and central discovery index (Alma/CDI), updating the proxy server configuration file and problem resolution for these systems. The department will allow a hybrid schedule for this position after successful provisional period has passed, including required onsite training.
Management of Online Resources (90%)
- Maintain and create new electronic resource order records utilizing library management system (currently Alma)
- Maintain additional electronic resources management documentation utilizing tools such as spreadsheets, Trello boards and Confluence
- Assist Electronic Resources Management Librarian with annual serial and electronic resource renewals
- Create and maintain vendor records in Alma
- Responsible for license maintenance in Alma
- Assists with the maintenance of the Alma Community Zone records and collections in order to facilitate discovery of subscribed resources.
- Maintain accurate holdings data in Alma for electronic journals and track and update perpetual access rights and changes to access control
- Track and update annual publisher and platform changes for electronic resources utilizing Trello (or other project management tool), spreadsheets and Alma
- Assists the Electronic Resources Management Librarian with the resolution of access problems to online resources.
- Assist Electronic Resources Management Librarian with new resource activation's including responsibility for new ebook activation notifications
- Assist Electronic Resources Management Librarian with EZ Proxy configuration stanza maintenance
Manage serials@swarthmore shared email account and triage requests as needed
- Assist with Alma and Central Discovery Index (CDI) clean up projects and assist with documentation creation and maintenance as part of TriCo Electronic Resources team
Data Collection, Assessment and Analysis (5%)
- Assist with annual usage statistics gathering for all electronic resources
- Respond to ad hoc requests for usage data from library colleagues
- Bachelor’s degree
- Proficient with standard Microsoft Office software or Google Suite in order to assure efficiency and effectiveness in daily work.
- Detail oriented; demonstrates interest and ability in managing textual and numeric data.
- Position requires stationary work at least 70% of the time as well as constant operation of a computer (keyboard and mouse), standard office environment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills essential.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Commitment to using new technology to advance work goals and to enhance service.
- Solid organizational skills, flexibility and initiative.
- Enthusiasm for an innovative, evolving environment.
- Demonstrates a strong service orientation; willing to go to great lengths to ensure that patrons and colleagues are able to access and use the library's resources, both traditional and digital in an effective manner.
- Exhibits an approachable and open style in personal interactions with patrons and colleagues and is able to communicate with a wide range of patrons and colleagues; is collaborative in decision making; and cooperative in responding to requests from colleagues and supervisors.
- Able to work well in a team-based environment.
- Able to stay focused and manage time effectively to accomplish goals and objectives. Juggles competing priorities well and exhibits good judgment in setting those priorities. Engages in problem solving, project work and daily functions at the same time. Refers complex problems to the Electronic Resources Management Librarian. Ability to organize work, keep track of ongoing and one-time tasks, and involve others is critical.
- Continuously seeks to enhance technical skills through formal (workshops, conferences, etc.) and informal (peer consulting, research, etc.) mechanisms. Displays initiative in continually teaching oneself through exploration of systems, research or documentation.
- As a member of the Library Department, anticipates and recognizes tasks that need to be done and willingly undertakes such tasks in order to ensure a library that most effectively serves its patrons’ needs. Takes positive action when one identifies a problem by contributing to its solution.
- Prior experience working with serials or electronic resources in a library environment
- Knowledge and experience working with an integrated library system (e.g., ExLibris Alma/Primo).
For full consideration, submit applications including resume and cover letter with salary expectations by December 3, 2021.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend