Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods. Swarthmore College was recently ranked number 3 in the 2021 US News Best National Liberal Arts Colleges rankings - https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/swarthmore-college-3370.
The Director of Athletic Communications oversees the day-to-day operations of the athletic communications office and supervises assistant/s and student workers. The Director of Athletic Communications administers and coordinates all aspects of the sports information program for all intercollegiate varsity sports, supports institutional branding and positioning efforts, and supervises and manages the Athletic Communications department (including an Assistant Director of Athletic Communications and student workers). Reporting to the Director of Athletics or designee, the candidate will be responsible for media relations, statistical management, event staffing, and marketing and promotion of the College's NCAA varsity sports and other programs associated with the department of athletics. This position supports the missions of the College and the Department, and works to ensure equitable promotion of varsity intercollegiate athletic programs.
• Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Attend home games, and selected road games, for varsity intercollegiate sports teams, and compile statistical data from those games for dissemination to the web, opposition, Centennial Conference, NCAA, and other media
• Serve as the primary media contact for the athletic department
• Coordinate the video efforts of the athletic department, which include video streaming on the Garnet Sports Network and creating and editing video features and highlights
• Maintain the statistical history and record books for all sports programs
• Write press releases and recaps for the Athletics Dept. website
• Design and produce publications (game-day materials/content) for all home events
• Submit statistical data to affiliated conferences, and/or the NCAA as required
• Support and collaborate with the College’s Office of Communications as requested
• Produce creative content for athletics department social media platforms pertaining to contests, special events, social media campaigns, and other department events
• Coordinate photography for the athletic department
• Assist in coordination of special events for the Department (Hall of Fame, Senior Student-Athlete Banquet, etc.)
• Update and maintain the department’s website
• Promote the achievements of Swarthmore’s student-athletes, teams, and coaches to the public through a wide variety of audiences and media outlets
• Record statistics and staffing Swarthmore home events
• Recruit, train, and evaluate student employees
• Coordinate the nomination of Swarthmore student-athletes for conference and national awards
• Maintain Swarthmore’s historical archive and serving as the main caretaker of the Garnet Athletics Hall of Fame
• Support the athletic administration and College administration on various projects as needed
• Collaborate with various constituencies (e.g. media/promotion companies, external vendors, GCAC, Associate Director of Athletics Giving, etc.) as needed
• Serve on Department and College committees as requested
• Write articles for the College’s magazine/website as needed
The Director of Athletic Communications supervises the following:
• Assistant Director of Athletic Communications
• Student employees
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications, sport management, or related field
• Previous experience in a sports information/communications office
• Knowledge of intercollegiate sports
• Strong writing, communication, organizational, and time management skills
• Experience managing social media platforms and knowledge of emerging communication technologies
• Ability to work with student-athletes, coaches, administrators, and the media
• Experience with Adobe Creative Suite
• Experience with statistical software (e.g. StatCrew, Presto Stats)
• Strong communication, interpersonal, multi-tasking, organization, and time management skills
• Knowledge of and experience with video broadcasting and production
• Master’s degree preferred.
• Strong knowledge of intercollegiate athletics, including rules & regulations.
• Previous experience in game-day management, including supervisory responsibilities.
• Experience in writing, editing, layout, and design of publications.
• Previous experience working with the media.
The Director of Athletic Communications must be able to work extended, unconventional hours, including evenings and weekends. This position requires the ability to sit or stand for long periods of time, and move about athletic facilities as needed (including climbing stairs/bleachers). This position will also carry, move, set up, and break down equipment pertaining to job responsibilities (e.g. cameras, tripods, video cameras, computers, monitors, etc.).
The Director of Athletic Communications must be able to work extended, unconventional hours, including evenings and weekends. This position is required to work home contests, and special events as needed, which occur at both indoor and outdoor venues (i.e. bleachers, press box, etc.). Ability to work in various weather conditions, including inclement weather, is necessary.
For full consideration, submit applications including resume and cover letter with salary expectations by October 25, 2021.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.