Job no: 494650
Work type: Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods. Swarthmore College was recently ranked number 3 in the 2021 US News Best National Liberal Arts Colleges rankings - https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/swarthmore-college-3370.
Under the direction of the Director of Benefits and Wellness, the Benefits Specialist will maintain ownership of our benefits administration. We are looking for someone who has the ability to handle numerous confidential priorities. A strong multi-tasker seamlessly able to transition back and forth between tasks while maintaining a positive attitude and unwavering accuracy. The Benefits Specialist is responsible for providing exceptional customer service and partnering effectively with internal and external constituents. The individual will be a subject matter expert in benefits administration and should have a thorough understanding of state and federal employment regulations (e.g., ERISA, Affordable Care Act (ACA), HIPAA, COBRA and FMLA). The qualified candidate will have keen attention to detail and strong analytical and technical skills. Hybrid remote work schedules available for this position.
- Responds promptly to benefits inquiries from employees and retirees on plan provisions, benefits enrollments, status changes and other general inquiries.
- When necessary, ensures that issues are escalated to carriers and to system administrators and provides status updates to employees until issues are resolved.
- Responds to 403(b)/457(b) inquiries from employees relating to enrollments, plan changes and contribution amounts.
- Ensures the accuracy of all benefits enrollments in the benefits platform and HRIS system in order to provide vendors with accurate eligibility information.
- Conducts new-hire benefits orientation and keeps orientation up to date.
- Manages data within the benefit portal; including but not limited to updating benefit changes and employee information.
- Ensures data feeds are accurately transmitted to data vendors and HRIS.
- Reconciles and pays insurance bills
- Leads and plans Open Enrollment and wellness initiatives.
- Provides support in processing retirement plan enrollment, changes and related transactions.
- Assists in the administration of benefits and retirement programs, including plan audits, filing of 5500’s and other tax related documents.
- Works regularly with plan sponsors, benefits brokers and technology support such as benefits vendors and insurance brokers.
- Bachelor’s degree with four or more years of benefits experience or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google suite.
- General understanding of benefits including but not limited to health and welfare plans, leave administration plans, workers compensation, 403b plans and all applicable regulations.
- Experience with benefits administration systems and HR information systems.
- Familiarity with health, welfare and retirement benefits administration.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated track record of a high level of professionalism, exceptional presentation skills and outstanding customer service skills.
- Excellent accuracy and attention to detail with the ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to multi-task effortlessly in a team-based environment and collaborate, influence and establish trust with campus partners.
- Demonstrated success managing multiple projects and competing priorities while balancing the need for quality with meeting deadlines.
- CEBS or PHR, SHRM and/or related certification in Human Resources a plus.
- Experience with Ellucian Banner, Benefitfocus or similar benefits administration system.
- Higher education experience.
For full consideration, submit applications including resume and cover letter with salary expectations by October 31, 2021.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend