Accounting Assistant & Cashier
Job no: 494626
Work type: Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
Under general direction of the Associate Controller, the Accounting Assistant & Cashier performs various clerical and accounting tasks to include posting entries, verifying and reconciling input to financial reporting system output, processing payments, and/or assisting in preparation of billings and other financial reports. Responds to inquiries and contacts other departments and/or vendors to resolve a variety of problems.
• Process Cash Receipts for Campus Community
• Prepare Bank Deposits & Deliver Deposits to the PNC Bank
• Data Enter Cash Receipts
• Review Bookstore Daily Reports, create JE & Upload Daily Sales Data
• Review Bookstore and Dining Services Cash Deposit & Data Enter the Daily Sales
• Daily Credit Card Account-reconcile the daily activity, prepare journal entries with backup, data enter entries
• Processes Accounts Receivable-Utility charges, prepare statements, and record payments
• Process Payroll deductions for utility charges, create JE to move from 12100 to 11000
• Processes rental property payments on behalf of Facilities for Rental Properties
• Obtain daily PNC Pinnacle reports (Treasurer, Credit Card & AP Accounts) & Identify deposits and returns/charges
• Recognize Student Housing ACH deposits on PNC daily statement, prepare & enter JE
• Prepare & Enter journal entry for return checks
• Date stamp incoming vendor invoices/expense reimbursements/check requests
• Determine vendor numbers from Banner for vendor invoices/expense reimbursements/check requests
• Identify new vendors and/or address changes for AP Coordinator
• Identify rush/delinquent/utility invoices for AP Coordinator
• Expense Reimbursements/Check Requests-verify receipts are attached and totals are correct
• Bookstore and Library invoice uploads-verify invoices are accurate and indicate Banner invoice # on invoices, comparing batch totals to the Bookstore and Library totals
• Process Positive Pay Exceptions in PNC
• Research checks in PNC to determine if they have been paid & process Stop Payments if needed under direction of AP Coordinator
• Process/Distribute invoices for approval in AP Coordinator’s absence
• Data Enter AP invoices in Banner when Accounts Payable person is absent in coordination with AP Coordinator/Assoc Controller
• Prepare & enter departmental journal entities for various accounts.
• Data Enter Journal Entries from others in the Business Office (Staff Accountant, Associate Controller, Controller, etc.)
• Pull Invoices for Associate Controller & determine if the invoices need to be recorded as a Capital expense
• Open and distribute incoming mail delivered through campus mail
• Order Business Office supplies
• Disburse Petty Cash in Accordance with college policy
• Comply with all security measures regarding cash and other payments
• High School diploma or equivalent with three to five years of job-related experience or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
• Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
• Strong attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills
• Proficiency in MS Office and desktop publishing as well as knowledge of GoogleApps, web content management software, and web based systems
• Ability to utilize good judgement, make recommendations or escalate matters when auditing to determine if refunds, additional billing or other actions is necessary
• Some college or business school education
• Proficiency in Banner, and/or other specialized software
• Experience working in higher education
For full consideration, submit applications including resume and cover letter with salary expectations by September 30, 2021.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend