Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Associate Director of Alumni & Parent Engagement is a member of a team who design events and activities that engage alumni, parents, and friends with the College and its programs and that encourage participants to be actively supportive of the College’s goals and priorities. The Associate Director provides logistical direction to major events, including but not limited to Alumni Weekend and Garnet Weekend. The Associate Director helps manage the execution of all major event-related projects, including but not limited to such items as registration tools, reserving spaces, etc.
• Directs logistics of major on campus alumni and parent events including but not limited to Alumni Weekend and Garnet Weekend.
• Works with vendors, Advancement colleagues, and on-campus partners to insure event success.
• In close collaboration with Advancement Communications, creates event invitations in keeping with College branding and style. Manages the optimal distribution method for sending invitations to recipients (print in-house or out, email, both, etc.).
• Works with Director and Advancement Services to determine appropriate invitation lists for all activities and events.
• Evaluates event success through data analysis, surveys, and individual feedback.
• Tracks spending to assist in supervisors’ budget management.
• Helps update Web pages related to these programs, as needed
• Supervises 50-100 student workers during major events.
• Hires and oversees 4-5 casual workers for major events, as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• A minimum of five (5) years working in institutional advancement, or equivalent professional experience.
• Superior organizational abilities. Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple and varied tasks independently, while also working collaboratively.
• Superior written and oral communication skills.
• Skill in dealing with people, using tact and diplomacy, and the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality. Strong customer service skills.
• Ability to articulate the value of higher education.
• Ability to use a variety of computer applications, including demonstrated skills in the use of word processing and spreadsheets (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs and Sheets), fundraising databases (e.g. Banner) and reporting software (e.g. Argos), Web page development software (e.g. Drupal), and social media (e.g. Facebook, LinkedIn).
• Ability to carry at least 40lbs, work evenings, weekends, or as needed to complete projects or meet heavy demand.
• Valid US driver’s license and ability to travel locally, regionally, and nationally.
• Advanced degree
• Experience working in a college or university setting
For full consideration, submit applications including resume and cover letter with salary expectations by September 30, 2021.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.