Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
Reporting to the Director of Financial Aid the Office Manager’s mission is to facilitate maximum administrative efficiency to the Financial Aid Office. The Office Manager oversees the administrative functions of the Financial Aid Office and manages the front line of communications – email, phone, and visitation. The person in this role is an innovative organizer, doer, and multi-tasker, is an expert in administrative execution, and is familiar with every position in the office. The Office Manager partners with the Director of Operations and the Senior Assistant Director of Financial Aid Systems to design and implement new systems to support office workflow, train financial aid staff on the workflow, and insure workflow is properly managed. The position supervises student employees and partners with the Director of Services to manage the College’s student employment software.
• Document Tracking and Application Completion
• Design and manage strategies for the completion of financial aid applications through the offices eight (8) application cycles
• Knowledge of documents and systems that collect, organize and track documents received by the Financial Aid Office
• Commission for reports and processes necessary for an efficient system of receiving documents, confirming receipt of documents with parents/students, and preparing documents for review by the financial aid committee
• Knowledge and continued learning of federal income tax return forms as well as financial aid application forms, main and supplemental.
• Manage vendors, office purchases, memberships, and subscriptions
• Manage monthly vacation and sick days reporting process of financial aid staff
• Manage confidentiality of data and security of data storage processes
• Manage auxiliary processes including daily importing of data files, appeals, outside scholarship updates, aid decision revisions, and refunding of financial aid.
• Reconcile monthly operating budget for Director and conduct quarterly budget review meetings
• Update webpage text related to financial aid; work with Communications Department as needed
• Manage the retention schedule and security of paper files and documents.
• Manage financial aid form updates; internal and external
• Serve as point person for external mass communications from financial aid; coordinate with Communications Department as needed
• Assist with major presentations
• Perform special projects and analysis in support of financial aid management
• Liaison with Environmental Services and the Office of Sustainability
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree with five years of job-related experience or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
• Operating budget analysis experience
• Ability to effectively supervise student employees and potentially up to one subordinate
• Ability to work with financial aid director and counseling staff to implement and manage workflow processes
• Ability to interact with other college departments and to design policies and processes that support the College’s mission and workflow
• Ability to design, implement and support financial aid administrative workflow procedures
• Knowledge of federal income tax return forms and financial aid application forms
• Proficiency with Google and Microsoft Office applications and website editing tools
• Federal regulatory and compliance experience
• Previous supervisory experience
• Knowledge and concern for sustainable methods of administration
• Understanding of college policies and practices particularly those of the Admissions Office, Business Office, and Student Accounts Office
For full consideration, submit applications including resume and cover letter with salary expectations by October 15, 2021.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.