Post Office Assistant I (Part-Time)
Job no: 494565
Work type: Limited Term Part Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
Under the general direction of the Post Office Supervisor, the part-time Post Office Assistant I is primarily responsible for the daily distribution by vehicle of mail/packages to departments. Assists with the timely receiving, sorting, logging, and distribution of mail and parcels for the College departments. Tasks performed include: preparing mail and packages for internal distribution and assisting members of the College community in processing outgoing packages.
- Sort mail and packages
- Operate a motor vehicle to deliver and pick up mail and packages
- Operate specialized mailroom equipment, such as postal tracking software, metering system, and point of sale terminal
- Manages undeliverable mail according to postal regulations and laws
- Retrieves mail from departments for internal transfer
- Responsibilities to include multiple daily runs to designated departments and offices for pick up of correspondence, supplies, sensitive files, equipment etc.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the Supervisor of the College Post Office.
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- A valid Pennsylvania driver’s license required and the ability to operate a manual transmission vehicle.
- Individual must have a willingness to perform routine, repetitive tasks on a continual basis, accept supervision from a number of persons, and perform tasks despite frequent interruptions.
- Identifies, analyzes, and addresses problems in order to resolve issues whenever possible in a way that minimizes the negative impact on the organization.
- Makes appropriate, timely and effective decisions in order to support the work of the department.
- Strong oral and communication skills to interact with faculty, staff, students, and co-workers
- Must be able to stand up to six hours at a time
- Must be able to frequently lift, bend, and carry up to 70 lbs across campus and mail room
- Must be able to walk around campus to make deliveries.
- Must be willing to work weekends and holidays as needed.
- Must be available for extra shifts for the first month of each semester
- Basic knowledge of Window Operating System, Microsoft Office
- Postal experience
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend