Job no: 494493
Work type: Limited Term Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Production Intern will be a full-time hourly position supporting the Theater Department. This position reports immediately to the Production Manager for daily supervision and for broader administrative concerns to the Co-Chair for Production in the Theater Department. Applicant must be willing to function as needed in the following areas: props, electrics, sound engineering, carpentry/scene painting, wardrobe, run crew, and stage management. This position will include both regularly scheduled shop hours as well as evening and weekend work as necessary for a total average of 35 hours per week for nine months per year. Weekly schedules will vary due to the Department’s work flow for productions.
Production support as needed in any combination of the following areas:
Related to the primary duties above are the following responsibilities as needed in relation to the Theater Department’s production curriculum, Cooper Foundation events sponsored by the Department of Theater, and Swarthmore Project residencies:
follow department financial protocols regarding budgeting, reimbursements, and record-keeping in consultation with appropriate faculty, staff, and administrative assistants
monitor and purchase supplies as necessary in support of production program.
schedule student staff as necessary in support of production program
run errands off campus with college vehicle
work with scene shop tools and equipment as well as with lighting, sound and projection equipment in the Frear Ensemble Theater and Matchbox Studio.
learn essential software and related technologies, including Q-Lab, Vectorworks, etc.
- Have a bachelor’s degree in Theater, Dance, or a related field or comparable professional experience.
- Strong organization and communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, to work under deadlines, and to prioritize workload
- Possess management and administrative skills necessary to direct student workers to efficiently schedule and delegate personnel, and to effectively administer policies.
- Requires a highly energetic, motivated and responsible person.
- Applicant must be able to work independently as well as under direct supervision, and effectively supervise student workers.
- Enjoy and be an effective contributor in collaborative situations with faculty, guest artists, staff, and students.
- Display excellent judgment in dealing with diverse personalities and pressures along with a strong desire to teach students excellence, quality and self-worth.
- Have a valid driver’s license and be willing be certified as a van driver for the Department’s vehicle.
For full consideration for this position, please submit a completed application including resume by August 9, 2021.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend