Research Assistant in Biochemistry
Job no: 494449
Work type: Limited Term Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
A Research Assistant position is available in the laboratory of Dr. Liliya Yatsunyk. The Yatsunyk lab studies non-canonical DNA structures implicated in cancer and replicaitgon stress. The lab uses an interdisciplinary approach spanning X-ray crystallography, biochemistry, and biophysical chemistry. For more information visit http://www.swarthmore.edu/liliya-yatsunyk. The initial term of employment is one year with the possibility of one year extension. Dr. Yatsunyk will work closely with the Research Assistant to help him/her in making a transition to a next step in their education/career.
- Plan and conduct experiments, analyze data, mentor undergraduate students in independent research, and help write publications.
- The candidate will be fully trained by Dr. Yatsunyk and will be expected to achieve independence in regular activities.
- Success will require strong experimental and communication skills, attention to detail, and willingness to learn.
- The ideal candidate will think critically and have the ability to troubleshoot and resolve experimental problems as they arise.
- A BA/BS in Chemistry, Biochemistry or a closely related discipline with a solid background in basic biochemistry; applicants with Master Degree will also be considered.
- At least one summer or equivalent of research experience in chemistry, biochemistry or related fields is required. Some knowledge of X-ray crystallography will be considered a plus.
- Ability to collaborate with and manage undergraduate researchers is expected.
- The ideal candidate should be self-motivated, attentive to details, have great enthusiasm for learning and ability to manage multiple projects.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills will be of great advantage.
For full consideration, submitted applications must include two recommendation letters from Professors who had a chance to observe prior experiences in the research or laboratory setting.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend