Job no: 494447
Work type: Limited Term Part Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
Two Part-Time Research Assistant positions are available in Professor Daniela Fera’s lab at Swarthmore College in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. We seek a highly motivated, safe, and organized individual with excellent communication skills and experience in biochemistry, molecular biology, or other closely related field to join our research group. The individual will support projects on the human immune response to HIV, specifically on how antibodies interact with the HIV spike. The individual will also support projects on protein kinases that are implicated in antibody development as well as cancer. The projects involve methods in biochemistry, molecular biology, and structural biology.
The successful candidate will work closely with undergraduate students at Swarthmore College. Therefore, demonstrated teamwork ability and a strong interest in mentoring undergraduate students is preferred. The research assistant will be encouraged to lead the projects, collaborate with the PI and undergraduate students on high-impact publications, and present at key conferences in the field.
This is a limited term position and can be renewed on an annual basis, pending funding. We are open to considering applicants with a BS/BA, MS, or PhD, and salary/title will be commensurate with experience.
- Protein gene cloning and mutagenesis
- Maintenance of mammalian cells using sterile technique
- Routine tasks such as filling liquid nitrogen dewars and changing CO2 tanks
- Large-scale protein expression in mammalian cells and E. coli
- Protein purification
- Biochemical experiments, such as pull downs, biolayer interferometry, circular dichroism, isothermal titration calorimetry, etc.
- Protein crystallography and/or electron microscopy
- Assisting students in the biochemistry laboratory
- BA or BS in biochemistry, the biological sciences or a similar field. We will provide mentoring and training. Applicants with MS or PhD will be considered as well.
- A one-year minimum commitment.
- Maximum weekly commitment is 15 hours
- Attention to detail, high motivation, and effective communication skills are essential.
The willingness and ability to learn new technologies, instruments, and software.
- Knowledge of theories, principles, and concepts acquired through completion of a Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or a closely related field.
- Some lab experience is preferred, particularly with experience in protein expression, purification and basic biochemistry/molecular biology protocols.
- Understanding for and appreciation of academic laboratory research environments.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend