Interim Textbook Manager
Job no: 494441
Work type: Temporary Full Time
Categories: Retail, Staff
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Interim Textbook Manager assists the Director with daily operation of the Store by processing information and paperwork for the Swarthmore Campus and Community Store. Maintains successful operation of the text book and trade book departments. Manages accounts payable and accounts receivable. This role requires daily interactions with vendors, parents, alums, faculty, staff, students, and visitors.
This is a temporary, full-time position starting July 1, 2021 with the expected end date of November 12, 2021. The work schedule varies, currently covering Store from 8:30am to 6:30pm, Monday through Saturday, with the possible addition of noon to 4pm on Sundays for Fall 2021. The Interim Textbook Manager is required to work at least one evening a week and at least one weekend a month.
- Communicates with faculty to obtain text adoption information.
- Verifies all text information received from faculty.
- Processes publisher orders in an economical, yet timely manner.
- Enters all textbook orders in MBS. Receives texts.
- Keeps text shelves orderly and well labeled.
- Controls back stock of books and processes returns in a timely fashion.
- Oversees and manages Swarthmore student textbook ordering process and fulfillment using MBS inSite.
- Works with Director to administer and manage the Textbook Affordability Program.
- Processes all invoices for the Store.
- Keeps track of debit memos, credit memos, invoice adjustments.
- Checks statements for accuracy. Communicates with vendors to reconcile invoice problems. Maintains and updates the vendor database.
- Communicates with business office to reconcile accounts payable and balance sheet differences and maintains line item details in budget (Banner).
- Uses a sophisticated MBS text management system.
- Maintains book files, publisher files, order files, return files.
- Provides sales, product, and reference assistance.
- Runs cash registers and bank card processing machines as needed.
- Monitors Bookstore’s income statement and balance sheet accounts in Banner and reconciles with Bookstore records (monthly Excel reports).
- Reconciliation of P-Card charges.
Required Skills and Abilities
Strong organization skills, strong oral and written communication skills, ability to handle multiple tasks and multiple priorities, ability to work under deadlines and prioritize workload, ability to work in a supportive and collaborative fashion, ability to work as a team member to build stronger working relationships, must handle constant interruptions, ability to stand for extended periods of time during “rush” periods, ability to lift/move heavy boxes.
- Associate’s Degree required, Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- 2-4 years of experience in collegiate retail strongly preferred.
- Experience with MBS or other textbook management database strongly preferred.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend