Coordinator, Residential Communities
Job no: 494380
Work type: Full Time
Categories: Administration, Staff
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Residential Communities Coordinator (RCC) will work with the Office of Student Engagement (OSE) to supervise the residential community, which includes student staff supervision and training, crisis response, and community development. The RCC will also provide substantial support to Student Activities programming through a collateral assignment and programming support.
The RCC is a live-in position that collaborates with students, faculty, and staff in developing residential experiences that foster a sense of community and opportunities for personal growth of community members. As a member of the Office of Student Engagement, RCCs commit to developing student leaders that are ready to engage in a diverse, global world. The RCC reports dually to the Director of Residential Communities for position aspects related to residential life and to the Director of Student Activities position for aspects related to student activities and collateral assignments.
The RCCs will serve in many capacities including: community builder, educator, supervisor, event programmer, and collaborator. In these roles the RCC helps to shape the quality of the co-curricular experience for all students.
Responsibilities include assisting with recruitment, selection, and training development of RAs; assisting RAs with conflict mediation and professional development; assessing RA job performances; coordinating and inspiring programming within the residential halls and across the community more generally; assisting with facilities management; serving as a Tier-1 on-call staff member, sharing on-call responsibilities and emergency in an assigned rotation, sharing on-call duties and emergency responses with the Deans staff. In addition, the RCC will assist with advising student organizations and be tasked with creating programs that promote student engagement, academic success, personal and shared responsibility, and identity development for all community members, especially students.
- Provide a high level of visibility and availability to students, while serving as a role model for students and staff.
- Promote leadership development, self-governance opportunities, as well as civic engagement through resident involvement.
- Serve as a support resource for staff and students in dealing with specific residence hall problems, including roommate conflicts, personal and emotional problems, diversity issues, and other developmental concerns.
- Answers common student, staff, faculty, or parent questions, in order to provide correct and timely information, guidance, and assistance. Appropriately refers to, or seeks assistance from, other OSE, dean’s staff members, administrators, or faculty members, in order to ensure that students, staff, faculty members or parents’ complex or unusual questions are answered in a correct and timely fashion.
- Serve on a crisis duty rotation and take part in the crisis response team. When needed, respond in person to campus after-hours to assist students or campus partners with on-call needs.
- Provide event programming in their residential community that is open and welcoming to the entire campus.
- Adjudicate student conduct issues and cases within the residence halls and those associated with student events on campus.
- Adjudicate additional residential area cases as needed.
- Maintain regular office hours and visible presence within assigned residential community.
- Coordinate and administer the Office of Student Engagement program for a residential community cluster under the co-supervision of the Director of Residential Communities and Director of Student Activities as outlined in the Residential Communities Coordinator Manual.
- Meet weekly with directors to receive guidance, feedback, and discuss pertinent issues pertaining to the residential communities and/or student activities.
- Assist with recruitment, training, and supervision of student Resident Assistants in coordination and accordance with the Office of Student Engagement guidelines. Monitor work performance for accuracy and completeness in accordance with OSE goals and guidelines.
- Assess the performance of Resident Assistants staff members on a regular basis and formally once a semester in a departmental evaluation.
- Advises students and staff on proper procedures and policies, in order to ensure appropriate requirements are met.
- Conduct weekly building walkthroughs and inspections and assist in monitoring and completing individual Facilities and Maintenance requests and overall building management.
- Assist with the opening and closing of residence halls.
- Ensure that OSE and College information is disseminated in a timely manner.
- Maintain residential community cluster budget.
- Works cooperatively with OSE and Dean’s Office staff to help ensure smooth and positive functioning of the office.
- Support campus-wide OSE and dean’s division programming initiatives, with particular attention given to large all-campus event weekends including Orientation, Welcome Weekend, Winter Formal, Large Scale Event, Worthstock, Senior Week, and Alumni Weekend.
- Perform campus event checks during on-call weekends, to support SwatTeam and student hosts with successful program management.
- Maintain a collateral assignment within the Student Activities and Leadership Office, in order to support divisional programming and departmental initiatives across campus and within the residential community clusters.
- Provide administrative, purchasing and budget reconciliation assistance to Student Organizations, Student Government and the Student Budget Committee
- RCCs are considered ‘essential personnel’ and required to help carry-out the College’s emergency preparedness plans. This includes providing office coverage during weather or other emergencies when the College might be closed.*
- Serve as a mandated reporter for Title IX issues and Clery Act violations.
- *During the COVID-19 global pandemic, RCCs must be CSERT trained, willing to be fitted for PPE, and support the College’s Quarantine and Isolation protocols and the Garnet Pledge expectations for students.
- Collaborate and partner with Student Deans, CAPS, and Worth Health Center staff to complete re-entry interviews for students who have been hospitalized or away from campus for a period of time. Make recommendations regarding students and their application to return to College.
- Support and administer all College, and departmental policies, regulations, and conduct standards.
- Respond promptly and appropriately to security, behavioral, and crisis situations. Encourage students to use mediation processes to resolve interpersonal disputes (i.e. roommate conflicts).
- Listen responsively to concerns or complaints and provide appropriate remedies, if possible, in order to resolve problems.
- Appropriately refer constituents when unable to resolve complaints.
- Using student development theories, promote an individual and community responsibility and development.
- Maintain files and records both electronically and in hard copy formats, with a strict adherence to confidentiality.
- Serve on various departmental/divisional committees for recruitment, selection, facilities, etc.
- Perform other duties as requested or required, whether or not specifically mentioned in this job description.
- The RCC will provide direct supervision to a portion of the Resident Assistants (RA) and indirect supervision to all Resident Assistants (RA)s during on-call crisis response situations. Maintain weekly office hours in the Office of Student Engagement and provide support, guidance and training to students working in the office. Additional supervisory responsibilities could be required depending on the nature of the Student Activities Collateral assignment.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- An advanced degree in counseling services, higher education administration, social work, or a related field is very strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to personal and departmental development, professionalism, diversity, equity and inclusion education, creativity, collaboration, and initiative.
- Discretion and sound judgment required in dealing with confidential and sensitive student issues and communication with all campus constituencies and outside constituencies (including parents).
- Strong attention to detail; strong organizational skills; ability to handle multiple tasks, often under deadlines; ability to work as a team member to build strong working relationships within the OSE and greater the Dean’s division, across campus and in the broader community; ability to write clearly and concisely with great attention to detail.
- Preference will be given to individuals with previous demonstrated student leadership experience within a college liberal arts setting, training in intergroup dialogue, and/or conflict mediation.
- Master’s degree is strongly preferred
- At least two (2) years of experience in student affairs or with student development in a college/university setting, with a preference for a liberal arts setting.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend