Access & User Service Specialist
Job no: 494363
Work type: Limited Term Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
Swarthmore College Libraries seek two reliable, highly organized library staff members with customer service and collaboration skills to join our Access and User Services team.
These full-time, one-year, limited term positions will ensure that the libraries run smoothly on a daily basis and that patrons are treated equitably.
Important tasks within this role include student worker supervision, implementing patron policy, development and maintenance of the physical and digital reserves collection, supporting Interlibrary Loan, participating in stack maintenance, and supporting management of the physical facility.
The successful candidate will demonstrate excellent communication skills, thrive in a team-based environment, and conduct themselves with a strong work ethic, due to the public-facing nature of this position. Patience, curiosity, and flexibility are highly desirable qualities, as we are adapting library services to a rapidly changing environment within the College and in the broader world.
Please note that this position will require onsite work, with evening and weekend availability.
If you meet the aforementioned requirements and are eager to support the mission of our libraries, we’d like to hear from you!
- Bachelor's degree; 1-2 years experience in a position which routinely interacts with clients.
- Demonstrated familiarity with using a library.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Good working knowledge of Macintosh and/or Windows environments and basic applications software including word processing, email, and Web browsers.
- Preferred: experience with using integrated library systems and/or experience with using other DBMS.
- Organization of its resources and an understanding of the library's mission in an academic environment.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend