Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Administrative Assistant II (AAII) provides a high level of administrative support for the Chair and members of the Linguistics department and the Phonetics Lab Coordinator. The full-time, year-round position involves significant student and faculty interaction, and requires a high level of discretion and professionalism at all times.
Tasks performed with a high level of autonomy include: budget preparation and monitoring for the department and lab; drafting and preparing correspondence and documents with very minimal supervision; professional interactions with students, members of the faculty and staff, and outside visitors to the office; equipment, supply, and facilities coordination; data analysis, management, and presentation coordination; mail and delivery support; scheduling support for the department and guests; occasional supervisory assistance; telephone support; and other duties as necessary to support the department projects or programs.
• Plans and organizes the office support operations for the department, ensuring smooth and effective services and operations.
• Provides administrative services to the department including compiling data, summarizing information and creating reports
• Composes routine correspondence on behalf of Faculty Chair
• Manages calendar logistics, scheduling of events, conferences and meetings
• Assists with travel arrangements as needed.
• Supports Tri-college Linguistics program.
• Coordinates facilities, work order and maintenance/repair requests.
• Serves as primary support person for faculty reviews
• Provides support for faculty and staff searches
• Manages budget reconciliation, tracks invoices, payments, purchase orders while utilizing College procedures and processes.
• Stay informed of departmental and College initiatives, policies and procedures.
• Maintains and orders office supplies; may maintain office equipment.
• Provides receptionist duties greeting all visitors.
• Participates as member of College wide committees, as requested.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Provides oversight for student workers including managing and entering student time cards.
• High School diploma required, with a 3-5 years of experience or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
• Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and internet search software.
• Previous budget management experience preferred
• Excellent communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
• Strong planning and organizational skills.
• Associate's Degree preferred.
• Proficiency in Banner, Access and/or other specialized software
• Full knowledge of MacIntosh computers, including entering and retrieving information from a database
• Previous budget management experience preferred.
• Experience working in higher education.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.