Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
Swarthmore College has an immediate opening for a Cook. This limited term, 9 month position is responsible for ensuring the timely meal production in a large college dining center under the direction of the Culinary Services Director or Sous Chef. The Cook prepares recipes and ensures food production meets the highest standards of quality, taste, creativity, presentation, and variety. Responsibilities include assisting with execution of menu plan for Board plan, retail and catering. Must possess and practice great customer service skills . Must be able to work both independently and as a part of a team.
• Reads recipes and produces a finished product following recipe procedures and production requirements
• Prepares high quality food for Sharples Dining Hall, retail operations and catering as directed by the Sous Chef
• Broils, bakes, grills, sautés’ and steams recipe items according to recipe procedures
• Record production clearly.
• Monitor and communicate with line server/food runner about menu items and portion control.
• Maintain a visual contact with front of the house and customers.
• Garnishes food and presents it according to operating procedures.
• Places finished products on the line in a timely manner.
• Prepare all foods at the correct temperature according to the HACCP Guidelines
• Ensures faculty, students and staff receive safe food products of the highest quality, freshness, and consistency, according to Serv-Safe standards.
• Stores all food products in specific size pans, covers, date and label all food items and places in appropriate cooler.
• Record food temp logs of hot and cold food items.
• Ensure proper cooling down of all hot food item before placing in cooler.
• Prepare all foods at the correct temperature according to the HACCP Guidelines.
• Wears cut gloves
• Clean as you go; sanitize the cook line as well as equipment, walls, floors, hoods, walk-ins, and line coolers.
• Promotes team work by assisting in cleaning areas of the kitchen, sweeping and mopping, cleaning the coolers, organizing dry storage etc.
• Observes the basic rules of kitchen safety, sanitation and back door safety.
• Uses First in First Out (FIFO) rule to ensure proper rotation.
• Utilizes various cleaning chemicals in accordance with Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
• Providing friendly customer service.
• Use Kitchen tools in appropriate manner, including using appropriate tools to open cartons, boxes and cans.
• Make suggestions to sous chef for menu items and recipe tweaking
• Communicate clearly with front of house about menu items and portion control
• Performs other assignments as directed by a manager or supervisor
• Assist with occasional outdoor service and production for catering events as requested..
• High school degree with 3-5 years of experience or associate degree in culinary or 1-3years of related experience.
• Serve-safe certification
• Two years of culinary certification and safe serve certification
• Food Allergen Certification
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.