Cook Limited Term
Job no: 494344
Work type: Limited Term Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
Swarthmore College has an immediate opening for a Cook. This limited term, 9 month position is responsible for ensuring the timely meal production in a large college dining center under the direction of the Culinary Services Director or Sous Chef. The Cook prepares recipes and ensures food production meets the highest standards of quality, taste, creativity, presentation, and variety. The Cook is in a student facing environment which requires excellent customer service skills.
- Prepares high quality food for Sharples Dining Hall, retail operations, and catering following recipe procedures and production requirements as directed by the Sous Chef.
- Broils, bakes, grills, sautés’ and steams recipe items according to recipe procedures at the correct temperature according to the HACCP Guidelines.
- Record production clearly, monitor and communicate with the line server/food runner about menu items and portion control.
- Works effectively both independently and as a part of a team.
- Maintain a visual contact with the front of the house and customers.
- Ensures faculty, students and staff receive safe food products of the highest quality, freshness, and consistency, according to Serv-Safe standards.
- Record food temp logs of hot and cold food items and ensure proper cooling down of all hot food items before placing them in the cooler.
- Clean as you go; sanitize the cook line as well as equipment, walls, floors, hoods, walk-ins, and line coolers.
- Wears cut gloves.
- Promotes teamwork by assisting in cleaning areas of the kitchen, sweeping and mopping, cleaning the coolers, organizing dry storage, etc.
- Observes the basic rules of kitchen safety, sanitation and back door safety.
- Uses First in First Out (FIFO) rule to ensure proper rotation.
- Utilizes various cleaning chemicals in accordance with Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
- High school degree with 3-5 years of experience or Associate degree in culinary with 1-3 years of related experience.
- Serve-safe certification
- Two years of culinary certification
- Food Allergen Certification
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend