Research Assistant - 21244
Job no: 494287
Work type: Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
A Research Assistant position is available in the Chemistry and Biochemistry department. The lab studies interactions between non-canonical DNA structures implicated in cancer and small molecule ligands. The lab uses an interdisciplinary approach spanning X-ray crystallography, biochemistry, and biophysical chemistry. For more information visit http://www.swarthmore.edu/liliya-yatsunyk. This is a grant funded position with the initial term of employment of one year with the possibility of a one year extension.
- Plan and conduct experiments, analyze data, mentor undergraduate students in independent research, and help write publications.
- The candidate will be fully trained and will be expected to achieve independence in regular activities.
- Success will require strong communication skills, attention to detail, and willingness to learn.
- The ideal candidate will think critically and have the ability to troubleshoot and resolve experimental problems as they arise.
- A BA/BS in Chemistry, Biochemistry or a closely related discipline with a solid background in basic biochemistry; applicants with Master Degree will also be considered.
- Ability to collaborate with and manage undergraduate researchers is expected.
- The ideal candidate should be self-motivated, attentive to details, have great enthusiasm for learning and ability to manage multiple projects.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are required.
- Applicants with demonstrated lab experience in chemistry or biochemistry are especially encouraged to apply.
- Some knowledge of X-ray crystallography will be considered a plus.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend