Administrative Assistant II
Job no: 494284
Work type: Part Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
Provides a high level of administrative support for the Art and Art History Department. This role involves significant student and client interaction, data management, budget managements; document, correspondences and email preparation; scheduling and management of appointments and supervision of student workers. This benefits eligible position works 35 hours per week for nine months a year.
- Plans and organizes the office support operations for the department, ensuring smooth and effective services and operations.
- Collects and checks timecards for accuracy and timely submission to payroll.
- Provides administrative services to the department including compiling data, summarizing information and creating reports, creating and modifying documents using word processing software, creating and updating data using spreadsheet software.
- Answers phones and responds to inquiries and other requests for information in a timely manner.
- Composes routine correspondence on behalf of the Faculty Chair and other department members.
- Edit and proofs materials for accuracy, uses correct format, grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Maintains hard copy and electronic files, records and logs.
- Manages calendaring logistics, scheduling events, conferences, meetings as necessary.
- May assist in planning and arranging meetings, including organizing the meetings, attendees and scheduling facilities.
- Assists with travel arrangements as needed which may include international travel.
- Keeps track of departmental budget expenditures, and handles requests for payment ensuring accurate coding. Processes and tracks payments/receipts as related to office expenses.
- Coordinates facilities, work order and maintenance/repair requests as needed.
- Performs other routine clerical responsibilities as needed such as photocopying, filing, collating documents, distributing documents and faxing.
- Stays abreast of current trends and Swarthmore policies and procedures.
- Maintains and orders office supplies; may maintain office equipment.
- Provides receptionist duties greeting all visitors.
- Participates as member of College wide committees, as requested.
- Supervision of one Office Assistant Student Worker.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in an administrative or office capacity which includes prior experience using computers and office software.
- Mastery of intermediate skill level in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and internet search software. Proficiency in Access, Banner, and/or other specialized software.
- Previous budget management experience preferred.
- Excellent communication skills (i.e. grammar, vocabulary) to be applied to telephone communications and to written communications such as email, letters, memos, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Strong planning and organizational skill.
- Some college or business school education.
- Proficiency in Banner, and/or other specialized software.
- Full knowledge of MacIntosh computers, including entering and retrieving information from a database.
- Experience working in higher education.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend