Public Safety Corporal
Job no: 494122
Work type: Limited Term Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Public Safety Corporal must be ready, able, and always available to effectively respond to a wide variety of situations and prepare daily for upcoming events. The Corporal must adapt to changing conditions, laws, patrol procedures, general orders, work rules, and recent court decisions. The Corporal is accountable for the well-being of the students, faculty, staff and general public who occupy the grounds and roadways of Swarthmore College and to ensure the constitutional rights and guarantees of all. During non-business hours the Corporal is often the highest ranking official on campus and is expected to make most decisions without consulting a higher authority. Due to the decision making nature of the job, the Corporal must be prepared to give immediate assistance to the public by making decisions for the College that may be unrelated to public safety. Perform other duties as assigned.
- The expectations for the Public Safety Corporal are to report for duty in a reliable, consistent and timely fashion. The Corporal must be flexible and adapt to changes in shift schedules. The position requires the Corporal to be exposed to environmental factors such as inclement weather, extreme heat and cold and potentially hazardous materials. In order to ensure continuous protection of the College community, the Corporal is required to be available to work during inclement weather or other emergencies even if the campus has otherwise canceled operations and activities. The position requires after-hour response to emergencies on campus when warranted and requested by the Director or Associate Directors.
- The Public Safety Corporal is responsible for providing guidance, support, and instruction to subordinates and ensures public safety and communications officers execute the functions and goals of the Swarthmore College Department of Public Safety. These functions include protection of life and property, as well as a variety of other services. The Corporal must take appropriate action for the preservation of the peace and good order of the College community including but not limited to the enforcement of College regulations, traffic and parking rules, facility use rules, and student code of conduct rules.
- The expectations for all officers, but especially for front line leaders/supervisors are that they fully engage with the concepts of "community policing,” building partnerships that support the safety of every member of the community, such as through the Building Resource Officer Program.
Public Safety’s mission is to work in partnership with the Swarthmore College community to provide a safe and secure learning, living, and working environment. The department endeavors to foster an atmosphere in which officers provide a prompt, professional presence in order to remain aware of and responsive to the diverse community in which they serve, while justly enforcing the rules and regulations of the College and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
The DPS is committed to upholding the College’s mission of fostering leadership for the common good by providing a safe and secure learning, living, and working environment for all members of our vibrant and diverse community. We believe safety is a responsibility.
- The expectations for the Public Safety Corporal are to report for duty in a reliable, consistent and timely fashion. The Corporal must adapt to change in shift schedules. The position requires the Public Safety Corporal to be exposed to environmental factors such as inclement weather, extreme heat and cold, and potentially hazardous materials. The Public Safety Corporal is required to be available to work during inclement weather, or other emergency situations even if the campus has otherwise canceled operations, in order to ensure continuous protection of the college community.
- The Public Safety Corporal is responsible for providing guidance, support and instruction to subordinates and to ensure Public Safety and Communications Officers are carrying out the functions of the Swarthmore College Department of Public Safety. These functions include protection of life and property, as well as a variety of other services to achieve and maintain the goals of the Department. The Corporal must take appropriate action for the preservation of the peace and good order of the college community including but not limited to the enforcement of college regulations, traffic and parking rules, facility use rules, student code of conduct rules, and Pa. State Crime and Vehicle Codes.
- The Public Safety Corporal is required to become involved in preliminary, supplementary, and miscellaneous investigations which are necessary to solve crimes, apprehend criminals, provide victim/witness assistance and prepare case documentation.
- Closely and consistently supervise all personnel (full & part time) on his/her designated shift, ensuring that staff assigned to his/her watch are punctual and properly uniformed, groomed and ready for duty. Conduct shift briefings, determine and implement directed patrol efforts for the shift.
- Assist the Public Safety Associate Directors and Director in the effective operation of the Public Safety Department. Review all reports, cards, logs etc.generated on his/her watch for content, grammar and appearance. Prepare and submit performance appraisal evaluations on subordinates. Conduct regular performance review with subordinates, and initiate and monitor improvement programs when required.
- The Public Safety Corporal is expected to lead by setting exemplary examples on a day to day basis. The highest standards of honesty, integrity, public relations, image, service orientation and professionalism is required at all times.
- High School diploma or equivalent, valid driver’s license, valid First Aid/CPR-AED certification, minimum of three years work experience in the law enforcement/public safety/emergency response field - preferably in a college/university setting with progressive leadership and responsibility, the ability to work independently, the ability to pass a physical examination, psychological examination, and a criminal history records check, and must be willing to attend PA Act 235 if not already Act 235 certified.
- Knowledge of recognized supervisory skills and practices. Knowledge of patrol functions (foot, mobile and stationary). The ability to understand the functions of the Patrol and Communications division and maintain effective communication with supervisors. Ability to identify potential security and safety problems, detect criminal activity, detect safety hazards such as poorly lit pedestrian areas. Basic knowledge of methods to initiate corrective action.
- Knowledge and consistent effective application of good public relations techniques. Knowledge in dealing with widely diverse attitudes exhibited by crowds during athletic events, rallies, social or cultural events, and protection of dignitaries. Ability to responsibly interact with the general public, college community and Public Safety Department staff.
- Associate's degree
- Municipal Police Academy Act 120 certification or other comparable training
- Law Enforcement/Public Safety experience in a college/university setting
- Implicit Bias Training
- De-escalation Training
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend