Front End Web Developer
Job no: 494118
Work type: Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
- Work in collaboration with web-focused staff in Communications and the Libraries to support and enhance delivery of excellent web applications services to the College community and the public.
- Translates web designs into clean, standards-compliant, and accessible semantic markup and responsive webpages by deeply understanding the layout and behavior of the design.
- Works with stakeholders, clients, designer(s), project manager(s), and other developers to implement high quality user experiences on the web.
- Recommends and effectively explains improvements in functionality, navigation, and UI design elements that improve the user experience of Swarthmore’s digital interfaces.
- Leads prototyping efforts for testing and experimentation, including usability.
- Acts as a campus contact for support and troubleshooting of the Drupal CMS.
- Monitors and analyzes current and emerging Internet trends and technologies, to contribute to the planning and execution of Communications department initiatives.
- Uses web analytics, user testing, and other assessment tools to inform Communications of opportunities to improve College web site(s).
- Participates on the team that delivers Drupal training to campus.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
Periodically supervises the work of contractors and student employees.
- Bachelor’s degree and three years relevant work experience.
- Expert HTML/CSS web development
- Expert development for responsive mobile web design
- Experience working with content management systems/web development frameworks such as Drupal 7 and WordPress.
- Demonstrated ability to build excellent user experience (UX) for large, complex web sites.
- Work habits that demonstrate attention to detail and ability to work on deadline.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Experience using SASS or LESS for CSS preprocessing.
- PHP server side scripting or Node.js experience
- Deep familiarity with WCAG 2.0 standard and universal design principles for web accessibility
- Experience coding in a team environment using version control
- Experience using web analytics in support of effective web governance
- Previous work experience in higher education
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend