Job no: 494117
Work type: Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Administrative Coordinator will support the Chief of Staff and Secretary of the College in four primary areas:
1. Serve as the main staff support person for the quarterly Board of Managers meetings and the Nominating and Governance Committee.
2. Support the Chief of Staff in scheduling and preparing for meetings, tracking Presidential communications, developing agendas, etc.
3. Maintain a robust organizational system to track critical meetings, Presidential speaking engagements, Presidential correspondence, funding requests, etc.
4. Serve as the key administrative support person for Commencement and the Honorary Degree process.
5. Support search committees for senior-level positions and other ad hoc committees serving strategic institutional priorities.
Additional Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to):
1. Coordinates weekly President’s Staff meetings, developing agendas with the Chief of Staff.
2. Coordinates a complex schedule involving numerous community members.
3. Support the Nominating and Governance (NomGov) Committee in assembling all meeting materials, and taking minutes at meetings. Conducts research and compiles benchmarking data for various Board governance issues.
a. Actively create the first draft committee agenda and draft materials package for the quarterly committee meetings.
b. Scheduling and minute-taking for NomGov two new subcommittees and an addition of full committee conference calls between quarterly meetings
4. Update key Board publications, minutes, agendas, and other materials.
a. Responsible for collecting and sharing minutes and agendas of the full Board
b. Responsible for responding to peer institution requests for Board information
5. Assist with Board Meeting Agenda, confirming past practices at each board meeting to make sure nothing is left off the agenda.
6. Actively create the first draft of the full Board agenda and expected to work with other VPs to confirm role in the meeting and Action Items to be addressed
1. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
2. Advanced computer literacy and skill required including work processing, Excel, web-based content management systems, database software, scheduling software, and/or similar programs.
1. Prior work experience in higher education administration support & knowledge of and experience with Swarthmore College preferred
2. Familiarity with Google Docs preferred.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend