Compensation and Benefits Manager
Job no: 494115
Work type: Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
In partnership with the director, the manager is responsible for performing job analysis, evaluating data and making appropriate compensation related recommendations in support of recruitment and retention initiatives. The position will be responsible for managing health and welfare plans, daily administration of retirement programs and other auxiliary benefits. The manager will have oversight of a benefits system (Benefitfocus), and must ensure the accuracy and timeliness of data; they are also responsible for timely filing of tax related forms, and supporting new and existing benefits programs.
The successful candidate must have at least five years of demonstrated experience in the delivery of exceptional customer service; the ability to partner effectively with internal and external constituents; subject matter expertise in compensation practices and benefits administration; a thorough understanding and application of state and federal regulations (e.g., IRC, ERISA, Health Care Reform Act, HIPAA, COBRA and FMLA); keen attention to detail; and strong analytical and technical skills. A Bachelor’s degree in a related field, coupled with relevant experience is required. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Tools including Excel, PowerPoint and Word and Google suite required.
- Conduct market and salary surveys, research and identify compensation trends.
- Analyze and interpret benchmarking data to evaluate competitiveness of salaries.
- Administer annual salary increase process and recommend improvements as necessary.
- Evaluate and classify position descriptions to determine appropriate compensation.
- In partnership with the Director, provide consultation and recommendations to inform compensation decisions.
- Assist with the development of salary and fringe benefits budgets.
- Ensures compliance of compensation and benefits policies while keeping abreast of the evolving regulatory environment and emerging trends.
- Assists in the administration of benefits and retirement programs, including plan audits, filing of 5500’s and other tax related documents.
- Works regularly with plan sponsors, benefits brokers and technology support such as benefits vendors and insurance brokers.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Five to seven (5-7) years of relevant experience in administering and advising on compensation and benefits programs.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Experience working with HR systems and technology.
Knowledge and understanding of HR processes; experience in higher education and HRIS systems (e.g. Ellucian Banner) is preferred.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend