Administrative Assistant II
Job no: 494109
Work type: Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
Among other responsibilities, the Administrative Assistant serves as the primary point of coordination and welcome for visitors to the Centers; handles queries from faculty, staff, students, parents, and members of the public related to the College; manages all of the Director’s calendars; has oversight for the budget for the offices and centers; and maintains calendars for the Black Cultural Center, Intercultural Center, the Office of International Student Services, and the Interfaith Center. *This is a 10 month position.
- Create a welcoming environment as the first point of contact for visitors to the Centers. Help direct visitors in the Centers appropriately, answer questions, and problem solve as needed.
- Manage space reservations for the kitchen, lounges, and various meeting spaces within the Centers. Ensure that spaces are set up for events and re-set following events. Work to maximize space utilization and equity amongst groups vying for space reservations within the Centers. Be knowledgeable about and able to refer groups to other potential spaces as appropriate.
- Develop relationships with campus colleagues and maintain an in-depth knowledge of the College in order to respond to queries from faculty, staff, students, parents, and members of the public to help address any concerns or questions they might have. When necessary, facilitate referrals to more appropriate College resources.
- Maintain appointment calendars, which requires triaging complicated requests, prioritizing, and responding to and initiating scheduling requests in a prompt fashion.
- Prepare and send e-mails publicizing program events.
- Reserve space and monitor facility usage.
- Process and monitor approved funding requests.
- Organize and processes travel reimbursements and speaker/ consultation contracts for events that fall under the Black Cultural Center, Intercultural Center, the Center for International Student Services, and the Interfaith Center.
Some oversight of student interns
- High school diploma required; college degree preferred.
2-5 years of directly related professional experience required. Prior work experience in higher education administrative support preferred.
- Advanced computer literacy and skill required, including word processing, Excel, web-based content management systems, database software, scheduling software, and/or similar programs.
- Must have experience working effectively and sensitively with vulnerable and structurally oppressed populations, especially with
LGBTQ+ people (particularly trans, non-binary, bisexual/pansexual, asexual, and/or aromantic people) and women; and
populations that tend to lack structural power as they intersect with LGBTQ+ populations — such as youth/students, people of color, low-income students, first generation college students, people with disabilities, immigrant/undocumented students, etc. Self-awareness is critical, as well as the capacity to acknowledge power dynamics, and to foster trusting and supportive spaces.
- Must be an enthusiastic, energetic, and organized self-starter who is capable of working independently and in a team environment.
- Must be prepared to work in a fast-paced environment where processes and needs are changing and developing regularly. Excellent interpersonal, communication, collaboration, and customer service skills are required.
Prior experience working with the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and working with and supporting International Students.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend