Job no: 494081
Work type: Limited Term Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
Ensures timely meal production in a large college dining center under the direction of the Culinary Services Director or Sous Chef. Prepares recipes and ensures food production meets the highest standards of quality, taste, creativity, presentation, and variety. Responsibilities include assisting with execution of menu plan for Board plan, retail and catering. Must possess and practice great customer service skills. Must be able to work both independently and as a part of a team.
- Reads recipes and produces a finished products following recipe procedures and production requirements.
- Prepares high quality food for Sharples Dining Hall, retail operations and catering as directed by the Sous Chef.
- Broils, bakes, grills, sautés’ and steams recipe items according to recipe procedures.
- Record production clearly.
- Monitor and communicate with line server/food runner about menu items and portion control.
- Maintain a visual contact with front of the house and customers.
- Garnishes food and presents it according to operating procedures.
- Places finished products on the line in a timely manner.
- Prepares all foods at the correct temperature according to the HACCP Guidelines.
- Ensures faculty, students and staff receive safe food products of the highest quality, freshness, and consistency, according to Serv-Safe standards.
- Stores all food products in specific size pans, covers, date and label all food items and places in appropriate cooler.
- Record food temp logs of hot and cold food items.
- Ensure proper cooling down of all hot food item before placing in cooler.
- Prepare all foods at the correct temperature according to the HACCP Guidelines.
- Exercises safety such as wearing cut gloves.
- Clean as you go: sanitize the cook line as well as equipment, walls, floors, hoods, walk-ins, and line coolers.
- Promotes team work by assisting in cleaning areas of the kitchen, sweeping and mopping, cleaning the coolers, organizing dry storage etc.
- Observes the basic rules of kitchen safety, sanitation and back door safety.
- Uses First in First Out (FIFO) rule to ensure proper rotation.
- Utilizes various cleaning chemicals in accordance with Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
- Providing friendly customer service.
- Use Kitchen tools in appropriate manner, including using appropriate tools to open cartons, boxes and cans.
- Make suggestions to sous chef for menu items and recipe tweaking.
- Communicate clearly with front of house about menu items and portion control.
- Performs other assignments as directed by a manager or supervisor.
- Assist with occasional outdoor service and production for catering events as requested.
- Greets and responds to customers and other visitors promptly, professionally, and graciously, to promote a positive image for the department.
- Listens responsively to customer concerns or complaints and resolves the problem if possible, or refers the customer to a supervisor.
Commitment to Swarthmore Values
- Understands and abides by a high standard of professional ethics in order to ensure the integrity of the organization.
- Works successfully with diverse others and upholds the College's commitment to equal opportunity.
- Abides by departmental work rules and policies.
Collaboration / Team Orientation
- Must be a team player.
- Adapts to new work situations, people, ideas, procedures, and organizational structures, in order to be successful in a constantly changing work environment.
- Builds successful working relationships with coworkers, hourly employees, and customers. Communicates and works effectively as a member of a team.
Adaptability / Flexibility
- Exhibits a willingness to do "more than the fair share" of the work, go beyond the minimum required, and present a commitment to helpfulness.
- Exhibits maturity, reliability, composure, and stability under pressure in order to handle on-the-job stresses and challenges.
Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrates and maintains technical knowledge of the job and of related procedures and policies in order to provide quality support to the department.
- Begins assignments without prompting, maintains productivity in both quantity and quality of work, and appropriately plans, organizes, and prioritizes work in order to maximize the use of department resources.
- Independently contributes ideas and process improvements, and looks for creative solutions and better ways of doing things, in order to meet the goals of continuous improvement.
- Identifies, analyzes, and addresses problems in order to resolve issues whenever possible in a way that minimizes the negative impact on the organization.
- High school degree with 3-5 years of experience or associate degree in culinary or 1-3 years of related experience.
- Serve-safe certification
- Two years of culinary certification and safe serve certification
- Valid PA. driver’s license
- Food Allergen Certification
This is a full-time limited term (1 year) position that offers a competitive benefits package and paid time off. This position is a non-exempt salary grade 3.For more information and to apply, please visit: http://careers.swarthmore.edu/cw/en-us/job/
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend