Assistant Retail Operations Manager
Job no: 494075
Work type: Limited Term Full Time
ASSISTANT DINING RETAIL OPERATIONS MANAGER
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
Assist in planning and managing service, production, and personnel of Dining Retail locations on campus. Assist in hiring, scheduling, evaluating and training staff. Provide outstanding customer service to the dining program, as well as, purchase and control of all food, beverages, supplies and equipment. Other duties include: proper accounting of sales, cash handling, and maintaining safety practices. Accountable for all labor costs and food costs for unit. Assist in performing monthly inventory of products and all other equipment. Prepare and adjust weekly employee schedules to meet operational needs. Provide leadership and coaching for staff members on varying shifts. This position makes decisions relating to customer service, financial performance, training and scheduling of staff, and employee rewards. Recommend new equipment and order items required to meet the needs of staff and customers. Work in partnership with the unit Manager in setting performance expectations and for providing the necessary leadership to ensure that those expectations are met and customer satisfaction is ensured.
- Assist in managing, hiring, training, and writing performance reviews for over 30 employees across three retail operations including; Essie Mae’s Cafe, Kohlberg Coffee Bar and Science Center Coffee Bar.
- Assist in coaching and developing staff in standardization of food quality, nutrition, presentation, and operational objective while maintaining budgeted food and labor costs.
- Assist in employee scheduling to ensure that budget is met and coverage of the operation is met.
- Oversee and work within operation daily, to ensure operations are meeting the guidelines and goals of the department.
- Assist in identifying new menu items, food concepts and new points-of-service.
- Assist in directing the education, training and professional development of all staff. This includes revising job summaries and creating processes and procedures for efficient operations.
- Assist with Purchasing to ensure proper product and equipment that is needed is ordered.
- Oversee staff and overall daily operations of the retail locations to ensure guidelines, standards and goals are being met including: sanitation, safety, customer service, high quality production standards and presentation, financial responsibility.
- Interact with & maintain a hands-on relationship with hourly staff as is needed to understand and evaluate all areas of the operation – including efficiency, morale, skill levels, meeting customer expectations.
- Professionally and effectively communicate with and provide information to other departments and campus staff as needed and/or requested.
- Be flexible and available always to assist wherever there is a need.
- Training and coordinating service staff through written and verbal instructions.
- Help to ensure retail pricing is in line with costs structure.
- Ensure staff is in proper uniform and is following departmental policies.
- Ensure all billing is correct and has been processed.
- Acts as Retail Operations Manager in their absence
- Available 7 days a week for day or night shift to meet operational needs.
- Perform all duties assigned with opening and closing procedures for each unit.
Collaborate and work with other areas of Dining Services.
- Participate in continuing education.
- Assist management team in developing recipes and seasonal specials/offerings, and identifying new retail products.
- Assist and support the Retail Manager.
- Other job related duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree in culinary or business with 3 or more years of related experience
- ServSafe Certification, or ability to receive ServSafe Certification within one year of employment
- Supervisory experience
- Valid Driver’s License
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
Bachelor’s degree in food service administration, institutional management, nutrition, dietetics or related area.
- 2 or more years of progressively more responsible supervisory and administrative experience in a high-volume food service operation that offers a varying daily menu.
- Experience in retail foodservice or convenience store settings
This is a full-time limited term position that offers a competitive benefits package and paid time off. For more information and to apply, please visit: http://careers.swarthmore.edu/cw/en-us/job/
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend