Cataloging and Metadata Librarian
Job no: 493941
Work type: Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Cataloging and Metadata Librarian will strengthen the discovery of the Libraries’ collections by creating original MARC metadata records following RDA and AACR2 standards, as well as other non-MARC metadata related formats (e.g., Dublin Core, MODS, METS). The candidate will implement and assist in the development of metadata policies including descriptive, administrative, and technical metadata schemas for the Libraries’ current and future systems including ExLibris’ Alma/Primo, Islandora, and other content management systems. An initial focus for this position will be a collaborative effort to improve and revise migrated data. The incumbent also assists the Electronic Resources Management Librarian in support for e-resource discovery and access.
- Cataloging: Performs original and copy cataloging for a variety of material types; Evaluates and upgrades minimal level bibliographic records; Corrects data errors in bibliographic, holding, and item records; Contributes to authority control and classification
- Bibliographic Metadata Management: Collaborates with colleagues to support the use of Alma functionality for metadata management; Participates in TriCollege projects for metadata creation and enrichment; In consultation with Electronic Resources Management Librarian, creates and manages import profiles
- Metadata Creation and Support for Local Digital Collections: Coordinates with Special Collections colleagues to develop appropriate non-MARC metadata for items in the library digital collections; Streamlines processes for metadata cleanup and provides support for metadata transformation
Evaluates content of e-resource packages to determine completeness in order to ensure patrons have full access to licensed content; Collaborates and liaises with colleagues throughout the Libraries as well as those in the TriCollege consortium; Serves as a member of relevant Library and TriCollege committees and working groups for the Libraries as appropriate; Contributes to the overall goals of the Libraries, demonstrating flexibility and accommodation to shifting priorities.
- MLIS, MLS, or equivalent degree; Two or more years of experience working with metadata in an academic or research library;
- Knowledge of, and experience applying, cataloging standards such as AACR2/RDA, MARC, LCC, and LCSH, Cooperative Online Serials Program (CONSER);
- Experience with OCLC Connexion and an integrated library system;
- Ability to be agile, adaptive, and to think critically in analyzing problems and developing resourceful solutions;
- Strong service orientation, analytical and organizational skills;
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented with outstanding written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience with the ExLibris’ Alma/Primo library system;
- Experience working with regular expressions, Perl or Python;
- Knowledge of system and metadata interoperability;
- Experience with MarcEdit
This is a Full-time position that offers a competitive benefits package and paid time off. This position is a exempt salary grade 08. For more information and to apply, please visit: http://careers.swarthmore.edu/cw/en-us/job/
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend