Assistant Dean and Director of the Intercultural Center
Job no: 493898
Work type: Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation's finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425-acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
This position will provide advising, advocacy, and support for students and a broad range of student groups including, but not limited to, Enlace (Latino/a student organization), Swarthmore Indigenous Students Association, the Swarthmore Asian Organization (SAO) and the Swarthmore Queer Union (SQU), DESHI (South Asian student organization), MULTI (multiracial students), and COLORS (queer students of color).
The Director will serve on appropriate College and faculty committees and ensure strong ties between the Intercultural Center and the academic life of the College through planning and implementation of programming and collaborative initiatives that support and create a diverse and inclusive learning environment for all students.
- Member of the Dean’s senior staff
- Academic and personal advising, being part of the emergency on call system and assisting in the implementation of the student disciplinary system
- Plan and implement programming efforts in support of both academic and overall success at the College for all students
- Supervises the Assistant Director of the Intercultural Center
- Works collaboratively with the Associate Director of the Intercultural Center/ Program Manager of the Women's Resource Center
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Qualified applicants will have experience working effectively and sensitively with vulnerable and structurally oppressed populations, especially LGBTQ+ people (particularly trans, non-binary, bisexual/pansexual, asexual, and/or aromantic people), women and with populations that tend to lack structural power as they intersect with LGBTQ+ populations — such as youth/students, people of color, low-income, first generation college students, people with disabilities, immigrant/undocumented, etc.
- Self-awareness and awareness about power dynamics and building trusting and supportive spaces is critical
- Must be an enthusiastic, energetic, and organized self-starter who is capable of working independently and in a team environment, and prepared to work in a fast-paced environment where processes and needs are changing and developing regularly
- Excellent interpersonal, communications, collaboration, and customer service skills and required
- Bachelor’s degree; an advanced degree in an academic discipline
- Several years experience as a dean and in academic advising and personal development in a liberal arts College setting is preferred
- An informed knowledge, including through academic study and/or cultural identity, of the varying groups affiliated with the Intercultural Center
- Excellent communication, mediation, programming, and consultative skills
- The vision to understand and appreciate the intellectual, social, and political development of undergraduate students
This is a full-time position that offers a competitive benefits package and paid time off. Pay Grade Exempt 08. For more information and to apply, please visit: http://careers.swarthmore.edu/cw/en-us/job/
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend