Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Public Safety Campus Resource Officers are also responsible for the efficient and effective operation of the multi-faceted Swarthmore College Communication Center. The position maintains control of incoming telephone calls while providing direction for outgoing calls that are not direct dial accessible. The Officer courteously provides information and assistance by telephone, radio or in person to faculty, staff, students, and visitors. The dispatch of internal communications, monitoring of CCTV, Access Control and both fire and intrusion alarms, as well as key control of organizations’ keys are all integral functions of the position. Coordination of communication or responding to incidents under demanding emergency conditions is an essential skill. Performs other duties as assigned.
The expectations for the PSO are that they fully engage with the concepts of "community policing,” building partnerships that support the safety of every member of the community, such as through the Building Resource Officer Program.
Public Safety’s mission is to work in partnership with the Swarthmore College community to provide a safe and secure learning, living, and working environment. The department endeavors to foster an atmosphere in which officers provide a prompt, professional presence in order to remain aware of and responsive to the diverse community in which they serve, while justly enforcing the rules and regulations of the College and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The DPS is committed to upholding the College’s mission of fostering leadership for the common good by providing a safe and secure learning, living, and working environment for all members of our vibrant and diverse community. We believe safety is a responsibility. To that end, we work diligently to:
- Protect persons and property by thoughtfully preempting and proactively reducing risks on our campus.
- Preserve the peace by promptly and effectively responding to the needs of our community fostering an atmosphere of mutual respect and consideration among all its diverse members, and justly enforcing local, state, and federal rules and regulations.
- Inspire confidence and trust as representatives of the College by being a prompt, professional presence in all interactions.
- Cultivate and maintain clear channels of communication within our team and with the broader College community.
- Collaborate with our community in the spirit of Swarthmore’s Quaker values, meeting our shared goal of a safe campus by building strong and intentional ties both on and off campus.
- Officers are expected to participate in community engagement activities.
- Document complete and accurate reports concerning incidents and calls for service.
- Provide escorts and protection as assigned for students, employees, dignitaries, transfer of cash/securities and movements of hazardous or highly valuable materials.
- Immediately respond to medical emergencies, administer first aid and/or render assistance to injured or ill persons. Request Emergency Medical Service response as required.
- Provide crowd control management duties at public events.
- Operate and maintain proficiency in the use of mobile and portable radio equipment.
- Operate patrol vehicles.
- Other duties as assigned.
In the absence of the regularly assigned Communications Officer, a PSO is required to perform communications duties such as: operate the phone console, answer emergency phones, monitor electronic equipment and computer terminals, maintain a key log issuing keys to authorized persons, operate a radio unit, CCTV, directing officers to respond to calls for assistance, and perform other duties as assigned or directed in the communication center.
The Public Safety officer will be designated to qualify and serve as a resource. They may Specialized training and subsequently be required for designated duties:
- Qualify and prepare lesson plans, and conduct in-service training programs for patrol and communications personnel as needed and/or appropriate.
- Collect and preserve evidence at incident scenes. Secure the scene and evidence whenever possible for Law Enforcement use. When appropriate and with appropriate level of training, using special photographic techniques, latent fingerprint dusting powders, and other special equipment used by a crime scene technician.
- Conduct shift briefings and assume command and supervision of a patrol shift during the absence of a supervisor. Determine and implement directed patrol efforts for their respective duty hours.
- Candidates must successfully complete an on the job training program and a six month new employee period.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in the security, public safety, law enforcement, and communications field, preferably in a college or similar environment and/or experience in a busy office setting in a call-taking environment.
- College degree, PA Act 235 Certification or PA Act 120 Certification, CPTED and APCO Certification preferred.
- De-escalation Training.
- Strong customer service/communication skills are crucial.
- A background and understanding of community policing concepts would be a plus.
- Focus on the Five Cs of Effective Community Policing: communication, collaboration, care, concern and creativity.
- An equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.