• Install, configure, maintain and support a complex wireless network campus architecture. Diagnose and resolve complex wireless problems utilizing tools such as packet sniffers, RF spectrum analyzers, RF signal strength and survey tools. Provide for seamless wireless authentication and wireless device security assessment and remediation. Resolve client problems in utilizing the wireless network.
• Install, configure, maintain and support network hardware such as Ethernet switches, routers, UPS, network monitoring systems, diagnostic equipment, network security systems, wireless controllers and access points, VoIP and other network servers.
• Install, configure, maintain and support data center networking including data center interconnect technologies such as VXLAN, EVPN, anycast and MP-BGP.
• Assure network stability, operability and proper configuration of assigned technical systems and components.
• Identify, diagnose and resolve complex network configuration and connectivity issues and other traffic, security and access problems.
• Maintain IP-based telephone system including IP phones, voicemail, E911 notification, voice gateways and related servers.
• Configure and remediate problems with IoT devices including cameras, electronic door access, alarms and other building automation systems.
• Monitor network status, collect usage and traffic statistics, monitor system logs.
• Maintain firewall access rules, NAT, site-to-site and client-based VPNs and end-user network access control systems. Protect the network from unauthorized access or malicious intent.
• Configure, maintain and support connections to multiple Internet Service Providers, Internet2 and consortium colleges using OSPF and BGP routing protocols.
• Maintain campus cabling plant, terminate and test Ethernet cabling, perform network cross-connects. Provide direction to wiring contractors regarding locations and standards to be followed when installing new cabling.
• Other job related duties as assigned
• This job description is subject to change at any time
REQUIRED TECHNICAL SKILLS
Minimum of 3-4 years enterprise-scale experience with all or nearly all of the following:
• Strong experience with responsibility for design, administration and troubleshooting of wireless networks, preferably Aruba. Strong experience with guest wireless solutions such as Aruba Clearpass. Applicants without demonstrable skills in this area will not be considered.
• 802.11a/b/g/n/ac wireless netwoking, WPA2, security certificates
• architectures, switches, routers, Ethernet, fiber optic networking
• L2/L3 networking, VLANs, Etherchannel, redundant trunk groups, VRRP
• TCP/IP protocols, packet capture and analysis, DHCP, DNS, QoS
• Routing protocols including OSPF and BGP
• Security systems including NextGen firewalls, security best practices, NAT
• VPN protocols including IPSEC, SSL VPN, site-to-site VPN
• IP cameras, IP door access and building automation
• Microsoft, Macintosh operating systems. IOS and Android devices.
• Network management and analysis systems, SNMP, Netflow, RADIUS, syslog, Splunk
REQUIRED PROFESSIONAL SKILLS
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to present ideas to work teams and clients clearly.
• Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment and maintain timely communication with other IT work groups.
• Excellent technical problem-solving skills including the ability to identify, prioritize, and resolve multiple complex technical problems.
• High standards of professional ethics including maintaining confidentiality and respecting privacy.
• Attention to detail and good judgment in avoiding unplanned service interruptions.
- DCI technologies including VXLAN, EVPN, and MP-BGP, anycast
- Juniper network devices and Aruba wireless networking.
- VoIP systems, especially Cisco IP Telephony and Unity voice mail
- Palo Alto firewalls and Cisco VPN systems
- Solarwinds, Splunk, Infoblox, Sourcefire
- Work experience in Higher Education
Swarthmore College is a private, coeducational, undergraduate, liberal arts college of approximately 1,600 students, located just west of Philadelphia. Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.