Job no: 493825
Work type: Full Time
Categories: Administration, Information Technology, Staff
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The System Administrator is responsible for the support and management of application systems supporting College administrative and academic operations. Primary duties include supporting or directly performing software installation, configuration, and management. This position works closely with vendors, application owners, and ITS staff to ensure a stable, efficient, and secure information technology environment. Main responsibilities include the following: administers the day-to-day technical operations of the central computing environment, responsible for maintaining change tracking systems, work logs, system documentation, and hardware and software inventories, provides ongoing support for application systems, acts as a technical expert in developing computer architectures supporting new system implementations and for planning platform migrations undertaken as part of the continual evolution of the College information technology environment.
Works collaboratively with the development team through the entire application lifecycle, from design through the development process to production support. Uses skills and experience in software design and development as well as systems operations to ensure effective delivery of services to the College community. Performs other duties as assigned. This is a full-time position that offers a competitive benefits package and paid time off.
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology with 3-5 years of experience in a related position or 5-7 years of progressively responsible professional experience as a systems administrator is required.
- Solid understanding of web development technologies and practices including HTML, CSS, jQuery and front-end tools, frameworks and accessibility standards.
- Experience with the specific systems requirements of a wide range of application environments from web servers to database servers and the ability to architect, configure and manage servers supporting these environments.
- Solid understanding of server operating systems; paging and swapping, inter-process communications, devices and device drivers, and file systems, and the ability to use this understanding to tune, troubleshoot and manage server systems.
- Experience administering authentication and authorization applications including Active Directory, LDAP, CAS, and Shibboleth in an environment with integrated identity management and account provisioning systems.
- Understanding of network topology and distributed system concepts.
- Working knowledge of SAN storage systems and protocols including NFS, CIFS, and SAMBA.
- Strong understanding of Vmware server virtualization technologies and implementation best practices.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills: ability to write proposals, project plans, and system documentation, act as a vendor liaison, and make presentations to professional peers or client audiences.
- Ability to solve problems quickly and automate routine processes.
- Solid understanding of cloud-service APIs and domain specific languages and data formats for tools such as Terraform, CloudFormation, Ansible, and Puppet.
- Working knowledge of web development libraries and back-end frameworks such as Node.js, Express, React and similar frameworks, and content management systems.
- Experience working with source control, testing practices and agile development processes as they apply to application development and operations automation.
- Working knowledge of the principles and practice of system configuration management and experience using a declarative configuration management system.
- Experience working in a multi-system environment; supporting and integrating a wide variety of server, storage, networking, and peripheral equipment, multiple Windows and Linux server operating systems, and on-premise and cloud environments.
- Understanding of concepts and best practices for administering applications in an Amazon Web Services environment.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend