Job no: 493805
Work type: Limited Term Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
Mechanic (Temporary Position, 6 months)
Work Schedule: Minimum: 25 hours per week, Maximum: 40 hours per week
Regular work shift: M-F, 7am to 3:30pm
Works as a member of the Grounds Department
Position Summary: In collaboration with the acting Motorpool Foreman, provides regular basic repairs and maintenance to the College fleet of over the road and campus-only vehicles, and to grounds and maintenance related equipment. Provides support in winter storm emergencies.
- Performs basic repairs and maintenance to vehicles and equipment in the College’s motor pool
- Performs repairs to grounds and maintenance department related equipment (chain saw, lawn mower, snow plow, snow thrower, string trimmer, etc)
- Assists in planned contracted-out maintenance and repairs of vehicles with local mechanics
- Is present for all winter storm emergencies; performs repairs of snow removal equipment; operates front end loader and snow plow
- Experience in auto mechanics and small equipment maintenance and repair
- Maintains a valid driver’s license
- Ability to lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds
- Visual ability to work on detailed, small machinery repairs
- Ability to read and understand machinery/vehicle repair and safety manuals and ability to maintain written time and periodic maintenance repair records
- Ability to work outside under harsh weather conditions and perform emergency storm-related work
Emergency work may require time outside of the normal work day.
Mechanics tools are supplied as part of the job.
This is a 6 month temporary full-time position scheduled 25-40 hrs/wk. Click here to view employee testimonials and learn about what it’s like to be a part of the Swarthmore community.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend