Job no: 493797
Work type: Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Cook is responsible for ensuring the timely production of hot and cold foods throughout each meal period. This is achieved by following production and recipes as documented in the production book. Report and record accurate ingredient information to ensure menu information sheet is correct at each meal period. Food lines must be set according to directions outlined in the daily production sheet. Lines must stay fully stocked and fresh throughout meal period.
- Ensures the timely production of hot and cold nutritious foods throughout the meal period.
- Consults production book for menu items.
- Prepares entrees by methods and quantities stated on production sheet, including advanced cooking, batch cooking, temperatures, etc.
- Preps all food items including vegetables, meats, soups, gravies, and sauces for the next day's meal use according to production sheets.
- Follows recipes completely. If a menu is not followed, states reason on production sheet.
- Reports to the Executive Chef any recipe changes needed for future production in order to ensure consistent menu products.
- Keeps hot boxes stocked with menu items throughout meal period in order to ensure the feed runner has quick and easy access to food when needed for replacement.
- Labels, dates, and stores food properly in order to ensure good safety for future use.
- Garnishes food before being places on the line in order to give a good presentation and to make it more appealing to the customer.
- Monitors food temperatures throughout the meal period in order to ensure food safety standards.
- Ensures proper internal temperatures are met when cooking meats in order to prevent food borne illness.
- Other job related duties as assigned.
- Customer Service
- Commitment to Swarthmore values
- Collaboration / Team Orientation
- Adaptability / Flexibility
- Technical Knowledge and Skills
- High School diploma or equivalent
- At least 2 years of related experience
- Must have knowledge of a variety of ethnic and vegetarian foods to satisfy a diverse clientele; must possess knowledge of cooking techniques and ingredients used in ethnic and vegetarian cooking.
- Must be able to operate food preparation equipment (ovens, stove, thermometer, slicer, fryer, steamer, etc.).
- Certification or additional training in culinary
- ServSafe Certification
- Food Allergen training
This is a full-time position that offers a competitive benefits package and paid time off. For more information and to apply, please visit: http://careers.swarthmore.edu/cw/en-us/job/
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend