Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
This position has responsibility for overseeing catering sales, new business development, service standards, and other areas specified, sanitation and training for College's catering services department. This position has full supervisory responsibility of all support staff performing various duties or functions. Works with College offices as well as external customers or clients.
The Catering Manager will oversee the daily operations of catering; create new business to generate new sales within the Catering Department. Interact daily with customers by initiating contact, planning and following up with contracts/service agreements. Plan, develop, and implement a comprehensive catering strategy to ensure overall consistency and high quality across the catering operation. Provide and ensure the highest level of quality and service for the community, executives, conferees, and other VIP's and other customers. Develop training programs for employees and serve as a resource of those trainings. Resolve customer issues and questions on site. Interact with managers/supervisors, chefs and catering operation supervisor on food set-ups and displays, ensuring the highest quality of food production, standards, presentations, and techniques.
Supervisory duties include hiring, training, scheduling, and supervising staff. Conduct disciplinary actions as needed. This position will oversee on call employees, however, this number may increase as business increases. This position will work with constituents across the campus to plan special events and themed parties. Independently answers inquiries and composes and drafts forms, reports, or correspondence for the customer/client review. Respond promptly to inquiries, comments, and requests. Responsible for renting and ordering of all equipment as needed.
Responsible for management of an annual operational budget of $300K- $400K, however, this budget may increase as business develops. Maintain fiscal responsibility according to established guidelines. Supervises staff and coordination of their daily schedule, making adjustments and finding alternatives when scheduling problems occur based on knowledge of program requirements and staffing company availability. Adhere to department purchasing policies; responsible for food and supply purchasing as directed. Maintain the highest levels of sanitation and cleanliness. Prepare payroll, invoices, inventory, labor, and other like reports. Creates and maintains statistical records. Formats and prepares complex documents which require the use of specialized software. Assist the dining services program in other duties as needed/required.
- Planning, organizing and preparation for catering events.
- Resource for catering policies issues and the related processes
- Monitor and balance staffing needs and costs by working with managers
- Oversee daily operations of Catering to ensure guidelines, standards and goals are being met and continually challenged including: sanitation, safety, customer service, high quality production standards and presentation, financial responsibility
- Interact with & maintain a hands on relationship with hourly staff as is needed to understand and evaluate all areas of the operation – including efficiency, morale, skill levels, meeting customer expectations.
- Professionally and effectively communicate with and provide information to other departments and campus staff as needed and/or requested.
- Be intuitive, flexible and available at all times to assist wherever there is a need.
- Procuring rentals and decorations, food set-ups, and ordering supplies.
- Training and coordinating service staff through written and verbal instructions.
- Oversee the quality of service, cleanliness, and sanitation throughout the catering operation.
- Oversee staff scheduling and planning for events.
- Oversee the updates and changes to catered events.
- Meeting with clients for events and to work with clients to from beginning stages of their order to the completion.
- Create standards for catering program.
- Training wait staff in proper serving and clearing procedures
- Ensure high client satisfaction.
- Responsible for hands-on service work as needed.
- Supervise and direct catered events with manager as needed Assisting in set up, food preparation, service and cleanup at catered events.
- Ensure all billing is correct and has been processed.
- Collaborate and work with other areas of Dining Services department
- Participate in continuing education
- Assist management team in developing ideas for events and recipes.
- Assist and support the Associate Director.
- Other job related duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- High School degree with 5 years of experience or Associates degree in culinary or business with 2 or more years of related experience
- Serv-safe Certification
- License/Certification – Valid PA. Driver’s License
- PA Child abuse and FBI Clearance
- Ability to drive a box truck
- Ability to speak, write and read in the English language
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in food service administration, institutional management, nutrition, dietetics or related area.
- 4 or more years of supervisory and administrative experience in a high volume food service operation that offers a varying daily menu.
- Creative (food displays, flower arranging)
- Experience with Cater Trax Software
- Knowledge of ethnic food offerings
This is a full-time position that offers a competitive benefits package and paid time off. For more information and to apply, please visit:
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.